Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp: Right click drag with trackpad

How do I right click drag with a trackpad using Bootcamp, Windows 10, MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)???

Whenever I do a right click I can no longer move the cursor, so can't do a drag.

I understand that it is possible with a mouse but I am interested in a solution for the trackpad.

I have tried all combinations of the bootstrap trackpad options that I can think of. There must be a solution but I can't find it.

MacBook, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 6:10 AM

11 replies

Dec 23, 2017 7:50 PM in response to Loner T

User uploaded file

The only usb device is bluetooth, not sure if that is normal. Also, under force touch trackpads, the only hid device that is compatible is the apple spi device. On my older MacBook Pro, the compatible options included multitouch, multi-touch, and usb input device. Selecting the multitouch option fixed all my problems. I guess I cannot do anything until apple updates its spi drivers for newer Macs.

Dec 23, 2017 8:13 PM in response to Loner T

User uploaded file

some other info:

Device SPI\VID_05ac&PID_0273&MI_02\5&33d07321&0&02 was configured.

Driver Name: oem3.inf

Class Guid: {745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}

Driver Date: 03/30/2015

Driver Version: 5.1.5800.0

Driver Provider: Apple Inc.

Driver Section: AppleSPITrackpad_Device.NT

Driver Rank: 0xFF0000

Matching Device Id: SPI\VID_05ac&PID_0273&MI_02

Outranked Drivers:

Device Updated: false

Parent Device: ACPI\APP000D\2

Dec 23, 2017 6:28 AM in response to seagullmouse

See Set trackpad options in Windows with Boot Camp on Mac - Apple Support .

In the One Finger section, select any of the following:

• Tap to Click: Lets you tap the trackpad to click.
  • Dragging: Lets you move an item by tapping it, then immediately placing your finger on the trackpad and moving your finger.
  • Drag Lock: Lets you tap the trackpad to release an item after dragging it.
  • Secondary Click: Lets you perform a secondary click by placing one finger in a corner of the trackpad and clicking. Choose the corner you want from the pop-up menu.
  • Dec 23, 2017 2:56 PM in response to Loner T

I did a ton of googling and then tried all possible combinations of those settings. In every case as soon as I right clicked (either with 2 fingers or the bottom right/left corner) the pointer was then stuck and not draggable. Note: I was always able to single click drag but this is different.

When I didn't get success I tried Trackpad++ which made no improvement. Then I tried to delete Trackpad++ driver which left my trackpad completely inactive. At this point I ran out of patience, shutdown and deleted bootcamp!

Thanks for your help!

Dec 23, 2017 6:42 PM in response to Loner T

I am familiar with these options in the control panel, but is there a way to click drag without having to use only the bottom portion of the trackpad? For example, on the mac side i can click with one finger anywhere on the trackpad then drag, but on the windows side, apple has made it so that I can only click the very bottom of the trackpad, then drag, which is very constricting when trying to move things quickly. No other windows trackpad does this.

When looking at the device manager, in past macbooks without force touch, there was a trick of changing the trackpad driver to be a usb input device (http://www.msitgeek.com/fixing-windows-8-trackpad-driver-in-bootcamp/). This actually works for my older macbook pro, but not my newer one with force touch. Not sure if there is a fix for this.

Dec 23, 2017 7:39 PM in response to asapj

asapj wrote:

I am familiar with these options in the control panel, but is there a way to click drag without having to use only the bottom portion of the trackpad? For example, on the mac side i can click with one finger anywhere on the trackpad then drag, but on the windows side, apple has made it so that I can only click the very bottom of the trackpad, then drag, which is very constricting when trying to move things quickly. No other windows trackpad does this.

The reason for me to pick the right- and left- examples was to clarify to OP that it works either way. There is also a tracking speed adjustment which can help distinguish between double-click vs click-and-drag scenario. See Microsoft's Change mouse settings link for tracking speed. On a 2012 MBP, I can use my thumb to click on any object anywhere on the trackpad, and use my right forefinger to drag objects. The same also works for left-hand thumb-forefinger method.

PS: If I am 'lazy' with the forefinger, this does become a right-click.

asapj wrote:

When looking at the device manager, in past macbooks without force touch, there was a trick of changing the trackpad driver to be a usb input device (http://www.msitgeek.com/fixing-windows-8-trackpad-driver-in-bootcamp/). This actually works for my older macbook pro, but not my newer one with force touch. Not sure if there is a fix for this.

The link is related to missing Apple Multitouch driver. If you notice, under About This Mac -> System Report -> USB, you should see the Keyboard and Trackpad, so these devices are connected to a USB hub. The HID device is a generic device, which usually indicates a missing driver required to support Apple-specific devices/features.

I will check a 2016 tbMBP with W10 1709 for the same features. The disappointing part for me is the lack of feature parity on the Force Touch trackpad across the two OSes. It may get fixed in the future. 😉

Bootcamp: Right click drag with trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.