Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is a red exclamation point on the upper right of my messages icon on the iPad. This is supposed to indicate an alert of some kind, but I’ve deleted all messages and reset messaging off, but the alert will not disappear. How do you clear the a

There is a red exclamation point on the upper right of my messages icon on the iPad. This is supposed to indicate an alert of some kind, but I’ve deleted all messages and reset messaging off, but the alert will not disappear. How do you clear the alert?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 4:48 PM

My iPad is also doing the same thing. You could just turn off badges for the message app. That’s what I ended up doing. You won’t have any more numbers telling you how many unread messages you have, but I would think that is more important to have on your iPhone than your iPad. Just a suggestion.

11 replies

Dec 23, 2017 1:01 PM in response to getangar

The Apple support links for iMessage do not provide a resolution. I have reset all settings for iMessage and deleted all messages on all my devices. The alert only appears on my iPad, and won’t go away. I wouldn’t mind going to the Genius Bar bar but it’s mobbed with Christmas shoppers. The backlog for appointments is days. Some apple head out there must have an answer. I think this is a bug, but I’m not really OCD enough to want to spend a lot of time on it. The message app works just fine....I can send messages without any issues. Just the alert won’t go away. Perhaps the next software update will fix this problem, and cause a few more. Lol.

There is a red exclamation point on the upper right of my messages icon on the iPad. This is supposed to indicate an alert of some kind, but I’ve deleted all messages and reset messaging off, but the alert will not disappear. How do you clear the a

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.