You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tracking runs on apple watch without cellular

Hi, is the apple watch without cellular able to register GPS and track your run if you do not have your phone with you? Aka if I went on a run with just my apple watch, no phone, would it be able to tell me my distance and track GPS?

Apple Watch Series 3

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 12:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 6:30 PM

Hi

Yes, it is able to do that.

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) has built-in GPS, which does not require the paired iPhone to be taken along when running.

The built-in Workout app (along with some third-party apps) can use the built-in GPS on your Apple Watch to record distance and also to record a route map for Outdoor Run (along with some other) workouts.

The route map can be viewed on your iPhone in the companion Activity app after your workout, once the devices have reconnected and your workout results have synced, which takes place automatically:

On your iPhone, in the Activity app, go to: Workouts (tab) > tap on a workout > a thumbnail map image is shown under the heading "Route" > tap on it to view a larger image of your route map.

More information and instructions for using the Workout app are detailed here:

More information:

Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apple Watch Series 3 - Apple

Apple Watch - Compare - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2017 6:30 PM in response to rylinthicum

Hi

Yes, it is able to do that.

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) has built-in GPS, which does not require the paired iPhone to be taken along when running.

The built-in Workout app (along with some third-party apps) can use the built-in GPS on your Apple Watch to record distance and also to record a route map for Outdoor Run (along with some other) workouts.

The route map can be viewed on your iPhone in the companion Activity app after your workout, once the devices have reconnected and your workout results have synced, which takes place automatically:

On your iPhone, in the Activity app, go to: Workouts (tab) > tap on a workout > a thumbnail map image is shown under the heading "Route" > tap on it to view a larger image of your route map.

More information and instructions for using the Workout app are detailed here:

More information:

Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apple Watch Series 3 - Apple

Apple Watch - Compare - Apple

Tracking runs on apple watch without cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.