Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic when entering Recovery mode

I always get a kernel panic when I try to enter in the Recovery menu (cmd+R).

I see some text strings and then the computer reboots.

I have a mid 2007 iMac 24" running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

How can I do?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Dec 24, 2017 10:58 AM

5 replies

Dec 24, 2017 12:09 PM in response to VoltoNick

You stated the panic occurs when you try to boot the Recovery HD, so you could not get into the recovery mode that way. And, your computer is too old to use Network Recovery. You cannot disable the SIP except from the Recovery HD. Why do you need to disable the SIP?

What sounded "tricky?"

Turning Off Rootless System Integrity Protection in OS X El Capitan 10.11.x or Later

Again, the vast majority of Mac users should not disable rootless. Disabling rootless is aimed exclusively at advanced Mac users. Do so at your own risk, this is not specifically recommended.

1. Reboot the Mac and hold down Command + R keys after the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery HD.
  2. When the Utility Menu appears, select the Terminal from the Utilities menu in the menubar.
  3. Paste the following command into the terminal then hit return: csrutil disable; reboot
  4. You’ll see a message saying that System Integrity Protection has been disabled, and the Mac needs to restart for changes to take effect. The Mac will then reboot itself automatically.
  5. You can also issue the command by itself without the automatic reboot like so: csrutil disable

Once the Mac boots up again, System Integrity Protection will be disabled entirely in OS X.

Checking the Status of Rootless / System Integrity Protection in OS X

If you want to know the status of rootless before rebooting or without rebooting the Mac from the Recovery HD, just paste the following command into the Terminal: csrutil status

You'll either see one of two messages:

$ csrutil status

$ System Integrity Protection status: enabled.

or

$ csrutil status

$ System Integrity Protection status: disabled

If at any time you want to change the status of rootless, another reboot from the Recovery HD is required.

How to Re-Enable Rootless System Integrity Protection in OS X

Simply reboot the Mac again from the Recovery HD as directed above, but at the command line use the following syntax instead: csrutil enable

Just as before, a reboot of the Mac is required for changes to take effect.

Dec 24, 2017 11:20 AM in response to VoltoNick

Try erasing the drive and reinstalling macOS. If the drive is bad then Disk Utility will not be able to re-partition and erase it. Because there is no Recovery HD to use, you will have to find another way to boot the computer. If you have a Snow Leopard DVD or a bootable flash drive then either will do.

Kernel panic when entering Recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.