Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not change workgroup name in High Sierra

I have tried to change wins workgroup name on a Macbook Air with no success. This is a known problem reading in Google search. I have tried to solve this problem using the terminal i found this: http://www.techradar.com/how-to/software/operating-systems/how-to-change-your-ma c-s-name-using-the-os-x-terminal-1298974 But here does not command for change of workgroup name. Can anybody help in this issuse or the the official support? Thanks. Happy Christmas!

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on Dec 25, 2017 4:44 AM

8 replies

Dec 25, 2017 6:23 AM in response to zoli62

The only thing I ever remember working was to Duplicate the Network Location and use that. Then set the Workgroup name. I suggested it to someone else, recently, but they reported it didn't work.

Just playing around with it, I could get a Workgroup to stay set if I entered a WINS server address. However, there was then no way to delete that address.

Can not change workgroup name in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.