Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t use Runkeeper on Watch without iPhone

I just got a Series 3 Apple Watch. The newest version Runkeeper app is on my iPhone and Watch. I just want to run without the phone. But every time I start the run it immediately starts it on my phone.

I’ve read the runkeeper info and there is supposed to be a “standalone” setting but I can’t find that anywhere. My settings don’t look like what is pictured in the runkeeper faq. Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 25, 2017 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2017 7:10 PM

Hi

If you have not yet done so, then it may help to:

Update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Update Runkeeper to the latest version:

Otherwise, I suggest that you consult the developer's support resources for Runkeeper and/or contact the developer for assistance with using their app:

https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en-us

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2017 7:10 PM in response to bmirak

Hi

If you have not yet done so, then it may help to:

Update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Update Runkeeper to the latest version:

Otherwise, I suggest that you consult the developer's support resources for Runkeeper and/or contact the developer for assistance with using their app:

https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en-us

Feb 9, 2018 1:36 AM in response to bmirak

GREAT NEWS!
The Runkeeper version 8.7 update from 7 feb 2018 is addressing this issue:

User uploaded file

"Guess what! We redesigned and rebuilt the Apple Watch app. We squashed some tricky GPS bugs, greatly improving the reliability of Watch trips. We’ve listened to our users (hey that’s you!) and we think you’re really going to like this update.

New

- Dedicated heart rate screen to show zones <3

- Splits alert with quick comparison

- Post activity stat summary

- Recent run history for Watch runs

- Use your Watch as a remote when tracking with your iPhone

Improved

- GPS performance and reliability

- More glanceable stats, easier to read while running

- Simplified settings with countdown option

- Better Watch only mode—start a run from your iPhone or Watch

- Recent run history for Watch runs
- Use your Watch as a remote when tracking with your iPhone

Improved
- GPS performance and reliability
- More glanceable stats, easier to read while running
- Simplified settings with countdown option
- Better Watch only mode—start a run from your iPhone or Watch

Dec 30, 2017 2:43 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Same issue here. I updated to all latest versions. There should be a ‘watch only’ /‘watch+phone’ option to toggle but it’s not visible in the menu on the 2nd tab on the Apple Watch (series 3) Runkeepers app.

I ran connected to a phone and started the run from the Apple Watch. After the run I synced with the phone and all info is showing on the iPhone’s Runkeeper app, apart from the map of my tour and the height stats. So, the GPS function on the Apple Watch was not in use during my run.

Can’t use Runkeeper on Watch without iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.