Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won’t open wi-fi login page

I have a MacBook Pro with macOS High Sierra. It has happened a lot of times that my Mac won’t open the WiFi login page when the WiFi status shows that WiFi is connected. My iPhone and iPad can always connect to the same WiFi, but Mac just fail. No idea why, bothered me a lot. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Posted on Dec 25, 2017 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2017 2:01 PM

What happens if you ask the browser to go to captive.apple.com whilst connected to the public Wifi but the login page hasn't appeared?

Does turning the Wifi off before restarting make any difference?

But appears you are having a more difficult time getting the wifi login pages to appear then I have personally experienced.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2017 2:01 PM in response to Inezzzzzz

What happens if you ask the browser to go to captive.apple.com whilst connected to the public Wifi but the login page hasn't appeared?

Does turning the Wifi off before restarting make any difference?

But appears you are having a more difficult time getting the wifi login pages to appear then I have personally experienced.

Dec 25, 2017 1:13 PM in response to Inezzzzzz

Hi,

I also experienced this when I was running Sierra so I don't think it is specifically related to High Sierra.

I now understand that our problem may be that our Macs are remembering the network and settings.. When we go back and try to connect it is "holding" the settings from the last time but the router has already cleared us out.

The below may work:

Resetting your computer clears the cache and now forces your computer to request a new ip address instead of trying to use the last ip and settings it had when on the network.

A quicker and easier fix that might work would to open your system preferences -> network -> advanced -> TCP/IP tab and click "Renew DHCP Lease". That will force your computer to request a new ip address.

I have personally found clicking on the WiFi icon, opening network preferences and then running diagnostics usually then forces the WiFi login/pop-up page to appear.

Not sure why iOS devices seem better at handling public Wifi (other than I guess more likely to come into contact more frequently) than MacOs though.

Mac won’t open wi-fi login page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.