Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview hangs on opening files

Preview is my default app to open image files (jpg, tiff, etc.). In the past week it has begun hanging when I attempt to open these files. These are not large files (e.g., 400kB for a tiff created by Grab).

I open PDF files with Skim by default. They open snappily. When I set a 60kB file to open with Preview instead, it takes more than one minute to open.

So far I have:

• restarted Mac
  • deleted Library/Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist
  • looked for Library/Caches/com.apple.Preview (doesn't exist)
  • deleted Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview
  • deleted Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

However, the problem continues. Could someone recommend other possible solutions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 26, 2017 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 3:01 PM

Try deleting com.apple.Preview.plist. It is located in ~/Library/Preferences, not in /Library/Preferences. To get there go to your Finder "Go' menu > Go to folder and enter ~/Library/Preferences then press go. The tilde(~) stands for your Home Library.

4 replies

Dec 27, 2017 3:01 PM in response to macjack

Thank you for the reply. I apologize that I did not state the filepath correctly in my original message. I had in fact already looked for the file "com.apple.Preview.plist" in the folder ~/Library/Preferences -- it does not exist.

However, my issue with Preview resolved itself. Activity Monitor showed that a process called "mds" (which I think is related to keeping the Spotlight database up-to-date) was churning away, using ~100% of the processor for several hours. I had to move my laptop so I shut it down. This time, when I restarted, I was able to once more open files easily with Preview.

Preview hangs on opening files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.