Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch series 3 exercise app not syncing with activity app

I just got a new Apple Watch series 3. For some reason, the exercise (green ring) piece of the activity app is not loading correctly. Today, I used the exercise app on the watch to log a 45 minute high interval training workout. Although the workout and time appear both on that app and on the Activity’s app, the 45 min of exercise is not being tracked on the activity ring (it says I have only exercised for 5 minutes today).

Has anyone run into this issue? Fitness tracking is the primary reason I bought the watch, so I want to make sure it isn’t logging correctly.

Posted on Dec 26, 2017 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2017 2:29 PM

Hi

To credit progress towards your Exercise goal, the Activity app aims to identify activity that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk. This requirement applies both during general daily wear and when recording workouts via the Workout app.

Exercise credit is awarded for each minute during which this requirement is met. It is possible that you are not meeting that requirement and/or that your activity is not being tracked accurately.

The definition of a brisk walk varies from person to person and depends on your personal information. To check that this is accurate - and to update it over time:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

When recording specific fitness activities, be sure to use the Workout app (or a third-party app that shares data to Health) and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout, including choosing Other for any workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to those in the main list. This enables your watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when tracking results.

For more accurate tracking of outdoor workouts and to enable proper calibration (see below), check your Location Services settings:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
  • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

• During general daily wear and when using the Workout app to record relevant workouts (ie where arm motion is involved) when GPS data is either not relevant or not available, the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including progress towards the Exercise goal.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around during daily wear and to move as expected during workouts.

Resetting your existing calibration data and recalibrating your Apple Watch can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app. More information and detailed instructions - including for how to carry your iPhone - are available via the link below. Resetting your calibration data and following detailed instructions for calibrating your Apple Watch can be equally as helpful for Series 3 models and will not erase your Activity history:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

For the best performance from your Apple Watch - including the most accurate readings from the heart rate sensor, which is used continually during workouts - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) during general daily wear and during any workouts. Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular (eg boxing) movements. For workouts that involve flexing your wrists it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint.

If you would prefer to receive Exercise credit for the full duration of workouts, regardless of their estimated intensity levels, then track them via the Workout app using "Other" as the activity type. This will credit one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories will be estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher. However, note that neither distance nor a route map are recorded for outdoor workouts under this workout activity type.

More information:

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

5 replies
    Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2017 2:29 PM in response to sdavey17

Hi

To credit progress towards your Exercise goal, the Activity app aims to identify activity that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk. This requirement applies both during general daily wear and when recording workouts via the Workout app.

Exercise credit is awarded for each minute during which this requirement is met. It is possible that you are not meeting that requirement and/or that your activity is not being tracked accurately.

The definition of a brisk walk varies from person to person and depends on your personal information. To check that this is accurate - and to update it over time:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

When recording specific fitness activities, be sure to use the Workout app (or a third-party app that shares data to Health) and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout, including choosing Other for any workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to those in the main list. This enables your watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when tracking results.

For more accurate tracking of outdoor workouts and to enable proper calibration (see below), check your Location Services settings:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

• During general daily wear and when using the Workout app to record relevant workouts (ie where arm motion is involved) when GPS data is either not relevant or not available, the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including progress towards the Exercise goal.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around during daily wear and to move as expected during workouts.

Resetting your existing calibration data and recalibrating your Apple Watch can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app. More information and detailed instructions - including for how to carry your iPhone - are available via the link below. Resetting your calibration data and following detailed instructions for calibrating your Apple Watch can be equally as helpful for Series 3 models and will not erase your Activity history:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

For the best performance from your Apple Watch - including the most accurate readings from the heart rate sensor, which is used continually during workouts - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) during general daily wear and during any workouts. Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular (eg boxing) movements. For workouts that involve flexing your wrists it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint.

If you would prefer to receive Exercise credit for the full duration of workouts, regardless of their estimated intensity levels, then track them via the Workout app using "Other" as the activity type. This will credit one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories will be estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher. However, note that neither distance nor a route map are recorded for outdoor workouts under this workout activity type.

More information:

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

Jan 31, 2018 3:06 AM in response to PhDChick

PhDChick wrote:

January 24 this also started happening with me. ..

I have replied to your own, related thread here:

Activity monitoring not working correctly

(It is not necessary to post duplicate questions on Apple Support Communities. Doing so also hinders the ability of others to assist you, by splitting conversations across multiple threads).

Jan 22, 2018 6:56 AM in response to sdavey17

My activity tracker is kind of working. At work it works fine all day. But at home it works sometimes. Sometimes I’ll get 30minutes of exersize in 30 minutes and sometimes it takes 50+ minutes. At home I can be on my feet the whole hour and yet the 10 warning to stand and move comes on and I can stand that whole time and not get credit. Only at home and only when my iPad is on Does this happen. I can even ask Siri to start or stop exersize and she’ll say see can’t find that app. It’s not connecting to my iPad by Bluetooth and the Activity app is not on my iPad. How do I fix this so it works all the time?

Donna

Jan 30, 2018 5:45 PM in response to sdavey17

January 24 this also started happening with me. I updated my watched the 25, and it is still happening.

It even shows my individual workouts, and the length, and it calculates them wrong still.

Jan 24 I did 2 workouts. One for 20 min, another for 15 min. It says I exercised a total of 21 minutes.

Jan 28 I did 2 workouts one 16, the other 18 min.it says I exercised a total of 28 minutes

Then today, I did 2 workouts one 17 minutes the other 20, and it said the total was 19 minutes.

I have never had this issue in the past, it just started last week. Also my co-workers noticed their watches also stopped calculating the workout times correctly too. This just in the last few days.

apple watch series 3 exercise app not syncing with activity app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.