You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find printer on network

My MacBook Air has previously had zero problems connecting to the wireless printer on my network. However, one day randomly, the MBA was unable to find it. I've tried everything I can think of—reset the router, reset the PRAM, reset the SMC, reset the printing system, manually entering in the IP address—and nothing seems to work whatsoever. I know the issue is with my computer because all the other computers on the network have zero problem connecting to the printer. Any idea what is going on?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 26, 2017 11:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2017 3:05 PM

Canon LBP841C. I've downloaded the driver but that didn't help. And the other printer, which used to work on my computer, can also no longer be found.

7 replies

Dec 27, 2017 2:30 PM in response to DP812

Hi DP812,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

I see that your MacBook Air can't find the wireless printer on your network. It looks like you've done some good troubleshooting and isolation so far. I'll be happy to help assist you with this.

Please try the steps in this support article: If you can‘t print from your Mac or iOS device , specifically:

If your printer is AirPrint-enabled

If your printer is AirPrint-enabled for printing from your Mac or iOS device, just make sure that it's connected to the same Wi-Fi network used by the Mac or iOS device.1

If you still can't print, try any of these solutions:

• Restart your Wi-Fi router. Then restart your printer.
  • Move your printer closer to your Wi-Fi router.
  • Update your printer and Wi-Fi router with the latest firmware from the manufacturer.2
  • Update the software for your Mac or iOS device.

If you're using a Mac and you still can't print, it might help to reset the printing system. Otherwise, contact the printer manufacturer for support.

Cheers.

Jan 1, 2018 8:50 AM in response to DP812

DP, I would recommend that you contact Canon technical support. Verify that your printer is compatible with the version of the macOS that is installed on your Mac. I don't remember if that was discussed earlier.

Are your other Macs running the same macOS version as your MacBook Air?

I found this on Canon's web site that identifies the macOS compatibility of their products.

Mac OS X Compatibility

What is the other printer that no longer works with your MacBook Air.

Please try the following.

1. Delete the user library\printers folder (inside your home drive). Reboot your Mac then try to readd the printer.

2. Delete the user library\printers folder. Move the root library\printers folder and the system\library\printers folder to the desktop. Reboot your Mac. Open the App Store and check for updates. If you installed the printer driver from the manufacturer's web site, download and reinstall the printer driver. Try to readd your printer.

3. Download macOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra). Connect an external hard drive or a large capacity USB thumb drive (64 Gb or larger) to your MacBook Air. Install the macOS on the external drive. Once the installation completes, hold the option key when you restart your MacBook Air and select the USB stick. Try readding your printer.

If you are able to connect to your printer(s) when booting from an external hard drive, there is an issue with your MacBook Air's OS. Make an updated Time Machine backup.

Reinstall the OS on your MacBook. Use Disk Utility to erase the internal drive during this process. Once the reimaging process is complete, when presented with the option to restore from a Time Machine backup, choose the option to restore your applications and documents. Do not restore your settings.

Howard

Can't find printer on network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.