Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nowhere to input verification code

Every time I reset my Apple password, System Prefs pops up on my MacBook Pro, telling me that iCloud needs the password too. So far, so good. I put in the password and it asks for a verification code that's been sent to my phone. Also fine. The code turns up on my phone. The problem is - there's then nowhere to put in this verification code. I'm left staring at the System Prefs window that says "An Apple ID verification code is required. Type your password followed by the verification code shown on your other devices." But there's no field. I can't even try to re-enter the password. The only icons I can select are "Account Details" or "Sign Out" which are both useless. Incredibly frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Damian

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 3:35 PM

Hello Damian,
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble using two-Factor verification, and I have some information that may help.
It sounds like you may be trying to enter your verification code on an older OS. Have a look at the excerpt from the article below for some helpful information.
Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions, you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification codefrom a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2017 3:35 PM in response to damianapple

Hello Damian,
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble using two-Factor verification, and I have some information that may help.
It sounds like you may be trying to enter your verification code on an older OS. Have a look at the excerpt from the article below for some helpful information.
Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions, you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification codefrom a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Dec 28, 2017 1:24 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric. But no, there's no password box. Initially I need to put in my normal password to get the code sent to my phone; however once it arrives, the password box disappears.

I've just managed to solve it by getting the code, quickly shutting down System Prefs entirely, and re-opening it so the password box appears. Bizarre and frustrating that an OS only four years old has such an obvious flaw.

Feb 7, 2018 5:11 PM in response to damianapple

This worked for me on my old iphone 4 just now. Thank you for the tip in your response to Eric Root. You do have to quit Settings (swiping up on Settings to get rid of it after double-clicking home button) and then open it again and then enter your Apple ID password and 6-digit verification code one after the other in the password slot.

Nowhere to input verification code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.