Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone and Apple Watch should show notifications on both devices.

I just noticed that i am not getting notification on my iPhone when it is locked. They are showing on my apple watch.

I am the kind of person who need a verbal notification. When i am busy, I do not always hear bells or dings. I have set my iPhone up to give me verbal notifications.

With the apple watch I don't get the verbal notification that I get on the iPhone.

With you next update, you need to allow both the iPhone and the Apple Watch to show notifications on both devices without have to giving up other necessary options or security on the Watch.

My suggestion is to have an option where you can have notifications on one device or both.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 10:01 AM

Hi

You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

How notifications behave depends on the status of your devices and your settings. With Wrist Detection enabled, in order to bring notifications to your attention as soon as possible:

• If your iPhone is unlocked, then you will receive notification alerts on your iPhone instead of on your Apple Watch.
  • If your iPhone is locked or asleep and your Apple Watch is unlocked (regardless of whether the watch display is asleep or awake) and on your wrist, you will receive notification alerts on your watch.
  • If your Apple Watch is locked or has Do Not Disturb enabled, then notifications will go to your iPhone.

More information:

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you turn off Wrist Detection (on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode - turn off Wrist Detection), then all notification alerts will be delivered to both devices. However, you will then not be able to benefit from features including Apple Pay, earning Stand credit and a single unlock after placing your Apple Watch on your wrist.

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple for a settings option that enables notifications to be delivered to both devices irrespective of other settings, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2017 10:01 AM in response to 1skier

Hi

You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

How notifications behave depends on the status of your devices and your settings. With Wrist Detection enabled, in order to bring notifications to your attention as soon as possible:

• If your iPhone is unlocked, then you will receive notification alerts on your iPhone instead of on your Apple Watch.
  • If your iPhone is locked or asleep and your Apple Watch is unlocked (regardless of whether the watch display is asleep or awake) and on your wrist, you will receive notification alerts on your watch.
  • If your Apple Watch is locked or has Do Not Disturb enabled, then notifications will go to your iPhone.

More information:

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you turn off Wrist Detection (on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode - turn off Wrist Detection), then all notification alerts will be delivered to both devices. However, you will then not be able to benefit from features including Apple Pay, earning Stand credit and a single unlock after placing your Apple Watch on your wrist.

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple for a settings option that enables notifications to be delivered to both devices irrespective of other settings, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Dec 28, 2017 9:16 PM in response to Jonathan UK

For some reason, when my watch is locked, I am not getting notifications on my phone. Would you happen to have any idea why? This just started happening! I just noticed tonight when my watch was off my wrist and in my bedroom, but my phone was with me. I picked it up and had several notifications, that I never heard...they had all gone to my phone. I tested it by sending my self a message with from my husband’s phone, and sure enough it went straight to my watch, even though it was locked and not on my wrist. And suggestions? I have a series 3 and iPhone 8 Plus. Thank you.

Iphone and Apple Watch should show notifications on both devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.