Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.7.2.60 x64 failing to install or update in Windows 10 Pro

I have iTunes 12.6.20.20 installed on a relatively new (< 6 mos. old) Windows 10 64-bit Pro system. I tried updating to 12.7.2.60 x64 and I got the dreaded "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package..." Message. I tried uninstalling iTunes which worked, but installing iTunes 12.7.2 from scratch fails with the same message. I had to do a system restore and "repair" of iTunes to get a working version!

I read the Apple Support instructions on how to resolve this which suggests, among other things, you have to remove all related Apple components, e.g.

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support 32-bit
  6. Apple Application Support 64-bit

On some systems, iTunes might install two versions of Apple Application Support. This is expected. If both are present, be sure to uninstall both versions.

This is next to impossible, because Bonjour contains a .dll (ndnsNSP.dll) which is in use by over a dozen other programs or services. You have to shut them all down. I tried this and still the install of iTunes 12.7.2.60 failed.

The worst thing about this is that there is no log or event log entry that indicates in plain English what the problem might be.

Anybody have a clue how to get around this, without mucking about killing programs or services and reinstalling anything but iTunes?

Windows 10, iTunes

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2017 8:48 AM

I found a sneaky fix to my own problem, but I am not sure whether this will help fixperise with his original issue.

When the error message was displayed in the installer, I left it displayed, then navigated to my own TEMP folder, where the IXP795.TMP folder was located. In that folder, I found MSI files for the 64 bit applications support, the 64 bit device support, the Apple update application, an executable to install Bonjour and an MSI for 64 bit iTunes. I double-clicked each of these (allowing one to complete before trying the next) in turn. At the end of this sequence, iTunes offered to launch, and everything appears to be properly working.

I then returned to the original installer (still displaying the error message) and clicked "Close", and the IXP795.TMP folder and all its content was removed.

I hope this helps some people, although I doubt it will help fixpertise.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2017 8:48 AM in response to paul_adams777

I found a sneaky fix to my own problem, but I am not sure whether this will help fixperise with his original issue.

When the error message was displayed in the installer, I left it displayed, then navigated to my own TEMP folder, where the IXP795.TMP folder was located. In that folder, I found MSI files for the 64 bit applications support, the 64 bit device support, the Apple update application, an executable to install Bonjour and an MSI for 64 bit iTunes. I double-clicked each of these (allowing one to complete before trying the next) in turn. At the end of this sequence, iTunes offered to launch, and everything appears to be properly working.

I then returned to the original installer (still displaying the error message) and clicked "Close", and the IXP795.TMP folder and all its content was removed.

I hope this helps some people, although I doubt it will help fixpertise.

Dec 28, 2017 8:46 AM in response to fixpertise

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus. The notes below the box should include details of how to shut down services that prevent uninstalling.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Dec 28, 2017 8:32 AM in response to fixpertise

I have an exceptionally similar issue, but with a clean install on a new computer.

When I attempt to install iTunes 12.7.2.60 x64, the install proceeds normally until just after it asks for elevated user. Then, it states that it is "Processing additional packages", then switches to a screen stating "Errors occurred during the installation before iTunes could be configured." It suggest simply trying to run the installer again. Even with multiple restarts, clean-ups of the TEMP folder, checks for disk issues, etc., the same issue is reported.

However, I have a log file that give some information.

The lines of interest appear to be the following:

Executing: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe" /i "C:\Users\Sound\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP795.TMP\iTunes64.msi" INSTALL_SUPPORT_PACKAGES=1

Returning: 1603

Any experts who can suggest what this may be?

Jan 14, 2018 9:25 AM in response to paul_adams777

Paul -

Many thanks for this trick. I had forgotten this. A while ago, I had to use it to install an outdated version of Crystal Reports on my Windows 10 development system. It didn't directly fix my problem but it lead to a clue as to what was wrong. I successfully ran the .msi for AppleApplicationSupport, AppleApplicationSupport64 and AppleMobileDeviceSupport, I hit the error installing AppleSoftwareUpdate. I had to run the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs- from-being-installed-or-removed). That cleared whatever problem existed with the current installation of AppleSoftwareUpdate and allowed the re-installation of AppleSoftwareUpdate to complete. Once past that, Bonjour64 and iTunes64 installed. I haven't fully tested iTunes, bit it starts cleanly.

iTunes 12.7.2.60 x64 failing to install or update in Windows 10 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.