Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant send Final Cut sequence to Soundtrack Pro multitrack project

I just started using Final Cut Studio and I've edited my first movie. Now I want to do the soundtrack. I right click on the sequence in the Final cut browser and select send to Soundtrack Pro multitrack project. It brings up the save dialog, I save the file and then it writes the video and audio. Then I get a error message: Can't open file....(filename). I've tried to open the saved .stmp from the Soundtrack file menu, but get the same message.
Then I made a test movie in Final cut, just one clip, no filters, anything. I get the same error!
Soundtrack worked perfect when I edited one of the clips in my movie as an audio file in Soundtrack.
What is wrong?
Please help!
Danielle

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Final cut Pro 5.2.1 and Soundtrack Pro 1.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2007 12:42 PM

8 replies

Jan 18, 2007 3:54 PM in response to Danielle Smit

There are three different ways you can send a sequence from FCP to Soundtrack Pro multitrack project. Doing it by right-clicking in the timeline preserves your ins and outs, which may be important. You've tried the way from the browser, but there is also an option of doing it from the pulldown file menu. I'd try all of them and see what happens.

If you're just sending one clip you can do it to STP audio file and then the edits show up immediately in the FCP timeline after saving in STP.

Jan 18, 2007 4:33 PM in response to Jeff Dooley

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your reply.
I have since talked to a apple rep and it turns out my original media is in the wrong format. They are .dv files which STP doesn't like. I did my test with one of these as well, so that's why I kept getting the error message.
My only option basically is to export to Quicktime and then start a new STP project with that, but it is really going to screw me up, because I'll lose all my clips, but better than nothing right?
I also can't do each clip as an audio file project, because I want to mix music in with the vocals that streches over multiple clips.
It still seems strange to me that STP doesn't mind my .dv files in an audio file project, but does in a multitrack project.
Anyway, lesson learned, maybe, just maybe there are some of you that know a workaround for me without exporting to quicktime and loosing my clips?
D

Jan 19, 2007 10:34 AM in response to David Morgan4

.dv is basically the file you get from mini dv camera's if you don't caputere straight into FC. When I imported the media onto my computer I din't have FC yet, I never thought to convert them before I started editing. You can convert them to quicktime though, through some third party apps, but if I do that, I would lose all my work and have to start all over again.
You might be able to convert them to other video files, don't know, I definitely have learned a lesson to ALWAYS import media into FC by using capture.
I just learned about all this too, so pardon me if I got some things wrong.
D

Jan 19, 2007 7:55 PM in response to David Morgan4

No I edited in FC express and then later in FCP. This was one of those projects I never got around to doing, so I put the .dv files (I really can't remember how I imported them, my guess is iMovie) on a drive and left them there for more than a year. Then when I finally got around to editing, I had FC and just imported the .dv files through file / import. The editing all went great, I didn't get a problem untill I tried to send to soundtrack.

Jan 24, 2007 3:27 PM in response to David Morgan4

Hi,
I'm sorry it's been awhile, I guess I never got the email there was a new post and I was traveling, so I haven't checked the forum either.
Anyway, I just looked, but not sure where to find the properties. When I select one of the audio files in the timeline and go to item properties all I find is this:
type: supclip. creator: Quicktime.
Does that help?
I also have another question, but I'll make a new thread since it's not really related.
Thanks again for the help.
D

cant send Final Cut sequence to Soundtrack Pro multitrack project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.