Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving Short codes text messages.

Since switching to the iPhone 8 with a new provider I have been unable to recieve short code text messages . My provider tell me everything looks good on their side.

Does Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.1, Provider is Freedom Mobile

Posted on Dec 28, 2017 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2017 7:55 PM

Hey bradfromairdrie,

If I understand correctly, you switched to an iPhone 8 and are now using a new cellular carrier and you cannot receive short code text messages. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting by contacting the carrier. There is an update that may be able to help. I would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

Ask your carrier if they allow people to send SMS texts to your phone number using short codes. If you transferred your phone number recently, you might not be able to get SMS/MMS messages until your carrier updates your information.

Get help if you can't deregister iMessage

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps:

1. Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2017 7:55 PM in response to bradfromairdrie

Hey bradfromairdrie,

If I understand correctly, you switched to an iPhone 8 and are now using a new cellular carrier and you cannot receive short code text messages. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting by contacting the carrier. There is an update that may be able to help. I would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

Ask your carrier if they allow people to send SMS texts to your phone number using short codes. If you transferred your phone number recently, you might not be able to get SMS/MMS messages until your carrier updates your information.

Get help if you can't deregister iMessage

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps:

1. Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Not receiving Short codes text messages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.