Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Colon & Semicolon missing from iPhone 8 iOS 11.2.1

Greetings,

I am using the Skype app from Apple store, to log into my account. In as such, this requires the colon inclusive of the full user ID formatted as "live:username". I have looked in both [123] levels as well as checked on numerous keys that a press and hold (similar to letters with special characters) providing the colon option. I am at a loss. Especially since, the first level [123] shows 2 different period/dot characters. Why wasn't one of those used for colon/semicolon? I will also reach out to Skype/Microsoft for solution as well.

I have not installed an additional keyboard - I currently have English QWERTY. Nor have I attempted speech to text via Siri to input the user ID. Although clipboard with cut-n-paste is also an option, this all seems to be much extra efforts when there is clearly a button available to use instead of having two with same character. Repurpose the extra dot (double space inputs a period automatically as well).

Any additional suggestions

Thanks so much to everyone in this support forum for honest feedback or personal anecdotes.

--Techology42

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.1, unsure if prior versions same

Posted on Dec 28, 2017 8:06 AM

5 replies

Dec 28, 2017 8:32 AM in response to Techology42

I was able to create a text replacement rule where I type the word "colon" and auto-inserts the colon character. Then I must manually remove the space before the colon to create a single continuous user ID. Possible that a formatting trick could be used in the creation of this text replacement Phrase/Shortcut. Maybe the colon is just obsolete? Yet, this is way Better than other options I was considering.

Techology42 - Enjoy as many characters as possible, before they are all gone!

Colon & Semicolon missing from iPhone 8 iOS 11.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.