Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign into Apple ID in iMessage or Facetime

I have an iPhone 6 running on the latest version of IOS, i recently changed the Apple ID I was using for my phone. When changing the apple ID I used for iCloud, I was able to log out of my old Apple ID and log into my new one just fine. I went to iMessage to do the same thing, clicked "Send & Receive" where it shows my phone # and apple ID, i signed out of my old Apple ID and tried to log into my new one and I keep getting a pop up that says "an error occurred during activation. please try again". the same thing happens when i try to log into my Facetime with my new Apple ID.. my iMessage is working fine using just my phone number, but i want to hook it up to my Apple ID so i can receive my messages to my Mac (my Mac is using my new Apple ID)

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2017 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2017 9:02 AM

Bekka7fold wrote:

I have an iPhone 6 running on the latest version of IOS, i recently changed the Apple ID I was using for my phone. When changing the apple ID I used for iCloud, I was able to log out of my old Apple ID and log into my new one just fine. I went to iMessage to do the same thing, clicked "Send & Receive" where it shows my phone # and apple ID, i signed out of my old Apple ID and tried to log into my new one and I keep getting a pop up that says "an error occurred during activation. please try again". the same thing happens when i try to log into my Facetime with my new Apple ID.. my iMessage is working fine using just my phone number, but i want to hook it up to my Apple ID so i can receive my messages to my Mac (my Mac is using my new Apple ID)

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2017 9:02 AM in response to Bekka7fold

Bekka7fold wrote:

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Dec 28, 2017 9:08 AM in response to Bekka7fold

The same exact thing is happing with my 6. If I try to activate iMessage by moving the slider it will say “waiting for activation...” and then soon after turn back to grey and say “Activation unsuccessfull “Turn on iMessage to try again.” If I move the slider so the “Use your Apple ID for iMessage” button appears, click on it, and put in my information it responds with “An error occurred during activation. Try again” after a long wait. I’ve tried restarting my phone, erasing it and going through the whole set up process, making sure the time was set to automatic, reset network, tried a different network, waited 24 hours, removed the SIM card, called Apple support (which was met with you should just update the phone), updated to the latest release, and made sure my cellular was active all to no avail. The strange thing is I have service and can even send and receive text messages.

Dec 28, 2017 9:18 AM in response to Jager3339

it's happening with my Mac now, too. its all so aggravating. i try to log into iMessage on my mac and the same exact error pops up when it was JUST working fine. i've tried everything, too! updating everything, i deleted everything from my keychain on my mac (i read a forum that said that would work), i made sure my date&time settings were auto in my phone, i factory reset it.... i don't even want to contact apple support because i know they are just going to suggest everything i've already done. ugh

Can't sign into Apple ID in iMessage or Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.