Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to log into PC using iCloud password

I am not sure how this happened, but all of the sudden, I am unable to login into my Mac.

I'm told to go to appleid.apple.com and change my password, which I do, and everything works, except I still can't login to the computer. I've tried resetting, logging in and out of my apple ID on my phone as well as other devices, but nothing works for the PC.

What am I missing? How can my passwords work for everything else, except the PC?

iMac, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2017 9:12 AM

15 replies

Dec 29, 2017 11:43 AM in response to Eric Root

Yep - It's when I was trying to log in like normal when I was first prompted that the password is wrong, I need to use my iCloud password, and if I've forgotten it, to visit appleid.apple.com. (Which I did, and successfully logged in, changed the password, etc.).

Going back to the computer, it still says the password is wrong. I've tried restarting everything, logging in and out of the iCloud account, making sure everything is matching.

Have tried passwords that were never associated the account anyway, in case by some act of God I accidentally reset the password to something else. But none of this makes any sense. I can access my iCloud from any device, as well as log in to appleid.apple.com and see that my computer is logged in with the corresponding account I just changed the password for.

I feel like there are 6 password setups for one Apple ID/Device or something, and everything is just crossing over.

Dec 30, 2017 4:26 PM in response to Eric Root

If I select the first option, there’s no choice to go to the terminal, as stated. The options I have are, “Restore From Time Machine Backup”, “Reinstall macOS”, “Get Help Online”, and “Disk Utility.”

If I click into disk utility, nothing is in there to get me to the terminal.

Even reading the step after that, it states, “Press your user and type your password.“

SO would I be typing in my password or creating a new one? Those are two different things.

Even so, if I’m trying all passwords for iCloud, appleID and all other IDs I have, why would the password work when signing into the iCloud account this is apparently using according to the prompt when the password is wrong?

Point is...those links seems outdated. No way to get to the terminal from the disk utility option. Just options to run first aid or do a disk partition.

Dec 30, 2017 4:37 PM in response to crawf1ac

While booted into the Recovery Partition, did you look at the menu bar for the Utilities menu as suggested? Not Disk Utility. The menu bar is where you will find access to Terminal. Normally, you create a new user password. The links aren't outdated.

why would the password work when signing into the iCloud account this is apparently using according to the prompt when the password is wrong?

I thought you were having problems logging into your computer, not iCloud. The computer uses the user password.

Jan 2, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Eric Root

I did look at the menu bar for utilities as suggested, and what I was trying to say is that what was suggested was not what was present.

And I was having problems logging into the computer. Herein lies the confusion: When I was prompted (when logging into the computer) that the password was incorrect, the prompt states that an iCloud password is used to log into the computer. That's what didn't make any sense. So apparently there's a password for 1) logging into the computer, 2) iCloud, and 3) Apple Store.

But yes, I was logging into my computer, but it wanted the iCloud password (Which I was able to go in and change before you helped me, but would still not work when logging into the computer.

The whole thing was just weird.

Unable to log into PC using iCloud password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.