Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App specific password solves MS Outlook mail authentication problem.

App specific password solves MS Outlook mail authentication problem. In setting up MS Outlook could not access iCloud mail - repeated authentication failure with iCloud password. Using app-specific password solved issue. But how was I supposed to know this? If Apple is blocking 3rd party app access to iCloud mail services, is there a place where such policies are published?

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), MS Outlook for Mac setup

Posted on Dec 29, 2017 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2017 2:00 PM

rdfish72 wrote:

App specific password solves MS Outlook mail authentication problem. In setting up MS Outlook could not access iCloud mail - repeated authentication failure with iCloud password. Using app-specific password solved issue. But how was I supposed to know this? If Apple is blocking 3rd party app access to iCloud mail services, is there a place where such policies are published?

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Generate app-specific passwords

With two-factor authentication, you need an app-specific password to sign in to your account using third-party apps or services such as email, contacts, or calendar apps not provided by Apple. Follow these steps to generate an app-specific password:

1. Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Click Generate Password below App-Specific Passwords.
  3. Follow the steps on your screen.

After you generate your app-specific password, enter or paste it into the password field of the app as you would normally.

LN

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2017 2:00 PM in response to rdfish72

rdfish72 wrote:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Generate app-specific passwords

With two-factor authentication, you need an app-specific password to sign in to your account using third-party apps or services such as email, contacts, or calendar apps not provided by Apple. Follow these steps to generate an app-specific password:

After you generate your app-specific password, enter or paste it into the password field of the app as you would normally.

LN

Dec 30, 2017 1:59 PM in response to rdfish72

Again

LN

Dec 30, 2017 1:19 PM in response to LarryHN

Yes, thank you. I was not using two-factor auth (TFA), but in order to obtain an app-specific password to see if this would auth where the iCloud password alone would not, I had to turn on TFA. I'm satisfied that TFA allows auth of MS Outlook access, but I was expecting that iCloud mail password auth alone would be sufficient. Apparently not, and I was wondering where this advisory might have been pulblished.

App specific password solves MS Outlook mail authentication problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.