Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use an email alias for Gmail in native iOS mail app

I was given the gift of my name as a .ca domain for Christmas. I've set up an alias in Gmail to make my new email address with my domain as the default email address. The new domain uses AWS and Gmail makes it a fairly straight forward process that is seamlessly integrated with their Gmail app in iOS. What I want to do is use this new email address in the native iOS email app but I'm stuck trying to create a new account as there is no user ID or Password for this address.....unless I use the one for my Gmail account....hmmm, just thought of that.
Has anyone made this scenario work? I can't find anything but questions when I search these forums.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 64GB iPhone 8 & Apple Watch Series2

Posted on Dec 29, 2017 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 3:12 PM

I found a solution, that i think might help you too.

To get this to work you will have to activate two step verification to your Gmail account, and add a "Gmail App Password" specific for E-mail and iPhone.

Then add your existing Gmail account as "Other", not the automatic option, in Settings > Accounts > E-mail. With manual input of IMAP and SMTP. And the password you created in the Gmail App Password.

Once the account is online, just tap the E-mail section of the IMAP Account Information to add the alias. Now you can use your Gmail to send e-mail via your alias adress.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2018 3:12 PM in response to Networxs

I found a solution, that i think might help you too.

To get this to work you will have to activate two step verification to your Gmail account, and add a "Gmail App Password" specific for E-mail and iPhone.

Then add your existing Gmail account as "Other", not the automatic option, in Settings > Accounts > E-mail. With manual input of IMAP and SMTP. And the password you created in the Gmail App Password.

Once the account is online, just tap the E-mail section of the IMAP Account Information to add the alias. Now you can use your Gmail to send e-mail via your alias adress.

Dec 30, 2017 11:01 AM in response to Networxs

Hello Networxs,

I see that you're trying to set up your new domain and are running into a little bit of an issue on your iOS device. I understand wanting to get this set up properly, and I'd be happy to help out.

You should be able to just set up your Gmail account and then the emails should come into that Inbox since you've set it up as an alias. This article will help to set up the account on the iOS device if needed:

Set up an email account on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
​Have a great day!

Jan 8, 2018 3:13 PM in response to Networxs

Normally, your apple id was your primary/current email that you were using right now to check your mail or whatever it is. If you really want to create a new user id, you can directly search for iphone guide in safari apps. Then you can create the new one and follow the instructions that given.

P/s : always remember, only fill in the verification code from 'apple' or 'google' or 'yahoo' or 'gmail'. If from other number that we didn't recognize please don't fill using the number that the scammers gave! I have experienced on this, my apple id and my email address had been hacked by a few hackers. Beware!

Feb 11, 2018 3:32 AM in response to JonasWaag

Hi, I'm having the same question as I want to make an "account" in Mail to only manage the emails from my alias.

I tried doing the above, however, if you put your alias in the "email" field (instead of your gmail account) then no password works as the email is not recognisable. I then switched to my gmail email and used the password I created in the Gmail App Password... but the entire gmail account was downloaded (not just the emails from the alias).

I'm not sure what we're trying to do is possible as there's no separate server for the alias and it only comes as part of the gmail address that was issued. If anyone has any other ideas please do share!!!

Thanks, m

How do I use an email alias for Gmail in native iOS mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.