Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb c hub kills wifi

I'm using lenovo usb c hub and it makes the wifi unusable, and i tried using left and right sides. This occurs on both 2016 13" macbook pro with touchbar and on 2017 13" macbook pro. so, my question is there something wrong with my both my macs or something all macbook pro 2016/2017 suffer from. It's not like i'm using a cheap usb c hub, so that couldn't be an issue. do you think it's worth bring it to a genius bar?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 29, 2017 2:39 PM

2 replies

Dec 29, 2017 4:05 PM in response to nexus89

Why do I have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer?

Some USB 3 devices can generate radio frequency interference that can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices operating in the 2.4GHz band to have issues communicating with your computer. Here are some tips to avoid this issue:

• If your USB device has a cable long enough that you can move the device, place it away from your Mac—and make sure not to place it behind your Mac, or near the hinge of its display. The antennas for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are located there, and USB 3 devices placed there might interfere with your wireless connections.
  • If you're using adapters or dongles on a Mac computer with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, plug them into the front port on the left side of your Mac, or into the ports on the right side (if your computer has them). These ports are the farthest away from the antennas, making interference less likely.
  • To avoid interference on the 2.4GHz band using Wi-Fi, try using the 5GHz band instead. You can change this on your wireless base station. Bluetooth always uses 2.4GHz, so this alternative isn't available for Bluetooth.

Using USB devices with your Mac - Apple Support

also, any of these items may be involved:

• Power Adapter cable recall

Apple USB-C Charge Cable Replacement Program - Apple Support

• firmware update for the Apple Multi-Port display adapters (specifically to reduce interference).

About the USB-C Multiport Adapter Update 1.0 - Apple Support

• LG-display recall -- to address Wi-Fi interference so severe, it knocks the Router off the air if too near the Router.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/03/lg-fixes-wifi-interference-problems-with-ultrafin e-usb-c-5k-display-new-units-unaffected/

usb c hub kills wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.