You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

20 inch Mid 2007 iMac,OS 10.9.5, second screens, and CRT TVs,

1) Can a 20 Inch Mid 2007 iMac which originally had 10.5 and is upgraded to 10.9.5 and has the maximum possible RAM memory for that model, have its second screen hooked up to a CRT TV? I know you have to convert Mini0DVI to DVi, and then to anything from Cmponent to Composite. I have a Sony Wega 24 inch 480i TV with Component/S-video/Composite/NTSC RF input. (I'd use component)

2) I notice there are 2 different DVI standards, DVI-D and DVI-I? Which one does that Mac do, and which one do I need to hook up to my CRT TV. I notice that he only connectors are DVI-I -> Component. There are no DVI-D-> component adapters I see on Ebay. Also will it output RGB or YCbCr, or is THAT selectable. MyTV requires YCbCr,

3) The main reason why I or most anyone would want to hook up to a bulky CRT TV is becuase I want the ping advantages I get on gaming. Is it low ping enough where I can play a light Gun game with a USB Mac compatible light gun? If not, can I at least get the TV display in a millisecond or less for non-light gun games, but beat my LCD TV's 33 ms display?

4) Will future Macs have the ability to hook up to a CRT TV still enabled, or will they make a purely digital signal which cannot be hooked to a CRT TV without losing the ping advantage of a Digital to analog conversion?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 20 Inch Mid 2007 Imac

Posted on Dec 29, 2017 4:25 PM

6 replies

Dec 30, 2017 12:19 PM in response to tripletopper

I am not really an expert on this. I think even if you get all the converters linked together you still have the problem of having a digital signal and out and needing an analog signal in. Read:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/difference-between-dvi- i-and-dvi-d

As for future Macs we are other users like you and do not know what Apple plans. However, Apple is very quick to abandon support for what it considers old technology, e.g., do you see optical drives on their computers anymore?

Realize even if you do get the converters all strung together, they may not work that way. I recall reading somewhere that to do any particular conversion you need a single converter to do all the job and stringing them together may not result in the signal you want.

Dec 30, 2017 1:13 PM in response to Limnos

Does the official Apple Mini-DVI-> DVI adapter use a DVI-D or a DVI-I? If it has DVI-D, then by the time you convert the video from digital to analog, you lose any advantage you have in ping time. But if it natively has DVI-I, then it might convert to a low-ping mode. (sub 1 Microsecond)

Did the official Apple Mini DVi->DVI adapter have DVI-I or DVI-D? Is the computer or operating system not compatible with analog signals?

As for classic vs modern TVs, games that MUST be played on a new style TV has completely overturned the championship fighting game pool, where champions who were great with CRT TVs and have been fairly consistent champions over multiple games, have been humbled by newcomers. It alters the premise of fighting games enough where if you're a defensive reactor, it'; tough to defensively react. The best champions balance offense and defense to varying degrees, based on who they are and what character they're up against. Street Fighter V made some previous fight game champions middle-of-the-packers, and relative unknowns stepped out in full force.

It's like Chris Moneymaker turning Poker from a game you play with friends as Dealer's Choice, to everyone with $40 and a dream trying for Hold Em championships, and everyone practicing Hold Em, excluding other versions of Poker, like previously popular 5 Card Draw and 7 Card Stud. The lack of a CRT TV is THAT BIG. Now fighting games are about studying all big combos everyone can make, and the best defense will be "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me" meaning the best you can do is block overly used patterns, instead of thinking on the fly and reacting to the frames.

I personally experienced a sitch where a CRT would come in handy, a Flash version of Whammy. Back in the day that aired, iMacs were CRTs, and I could almost always stop on the 3/4/5000+1 spin square. The reason why I didn't always was there was a timer hurrying me, and if too much time expired, I settled, and occasionally hit a Whammy. I got over Michael Larson's score of $110,xxx yet I was not close to the top of the leader board, there were 50 people who scored 1 million, and the high score was 10 million. I play a version more recently on retro flash game site and I'm always one square late when I try aiming for 3/4/5000+1 spin. So it's not just me, quite a few people thought of that technique, which is why if there's a Whammy revival it will have a quarter second ping time, be randomized, and/or have winnings capped.

By the way, does the HDMI standard eliminate the possibility of hooking up to a CRT TV and having that light gun quickness? Since most people are using it for home arcades and tournaments, why isn't there a home HDMI CRT TV with sub microsecond quickness yet accepts an HDMI input? Is it physically impossible for a CRT TV to work with a digital signal without converting it to analog and therefore ruin the whole point of a CRT TV? Or, if someone wanted to, could they make a 16x9, 4k, 3D TV that is CRT and quick enough for optical light guns? Since most people would only buy them for games, the largest size you need is 24 inches. Heck a 14 inch carry along size would be good for playing fighting games the way they were meant to be played.

What I wanted to do was play some MAME games with a CRT TV. it looks like that's out the window.

Jan 1, 2018 5:59 PM in response to tripletopper

Is Mini-DVI natively digital exclusively, or natively EITHER (based on the settings and other factors) digital or analog? Full Size DVI I know can be either. Is the official Apple mini-DVI to DVI cable a DVI-I or DVI-D. If it's DVI-I then it might support analog natively. Also would OS 10.9.5 support analog natively on a 20 Inch Mid 2007 iMac? If it doesn't, can I have my MacMame on 10.5 and have, as an alternate os, 10.5 and in THAT MODE have an analog native second screen? I'm trying to see if I gain a ping advantage by using an analog second monitor, If it's not analog natively, then probably any ping advantage gained on an analog TV would be lost (and then some) in the digital->analog conversion.

Finally in Analog 3 RCA mode, would it be RGB or YCbCr? My TV needs YCbCr?

Jan 1, 2018 6:50 PM in response to tripletopper

I see a Mini-DVI to S-Video Port. I know I COULD use that, but will I have the ping advantage if I use that?

No one makes a Mini-DVI -> YCbCr connector, and double connecting will either not be as intended or I lose ping advantage. The main concern is Ping advantage.

Can I play on a CRT TV with an S-Video adapter and still have my ping advantage?

Jan 2, 2018 10:48 AM in response to Limnos

Luckily I found and bought an Apple brand Mini-DVI to S-Video on Ebay, and will try it and report to you guys if I have a CRT ping advantage or not. But thanks for suggesting that there are 2 types of DVI. So I did more research and found the Apple Mini-DVI->DVI adapters had DVI-D ends, but read Apple Mini-DVI is capable of analog pictures if it converts to analog format, but Apple didn't make it for YCbCr. The best I can do on my TV is S-Video. Will let you know in a couple of weeks. Unless OS 10.9 doesn't do Analog natively, even if the Computer had a Mini-VI port; if it doesn't, someone let me know.

20 inch Mid 2007 iMac,OS 10.9.5, second screens, and CRT TVs,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.