Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I avoid segmentation fault 11?

k2pdfopt, an otherwise-useful pdf-processing app, often fails with segmentation fault 11. So I keep having to leave the computer to minimize demands, and periodically return to check and repeat the process, hoping it'll succeed.

One suggestion is to remove the stack limit in bash so executables can continue instead of crashing:

http://autodock.scripps.edu/faqs-help/faq/segmentation-fault-trying-to-run-autod ock-3

Another suggestion is to try a terminal emulator:

Segmentation fault in Terminal (Leopard)

I think I'd have to set up k2pdfopt from scratch for that, and all my special settings as well.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 29, 2017 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2017 7:38 AM

Hi Marja,

According to the developer's site, the last version (2.4.2) of k2pdfopt was built in May 2017 for macOS which predates the release of macOS 10.12.6 (your profile) or any High Sierra release. The segmentation fault is caused by an application attempting to access restricted memory space, and the operating system stopping this attempt.

The resolution of this issue is that the developer needs to fix bad behavior in his application, and recompile/release it as an updated version. You cannot fix it by tweaking the operating system.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2017 7:38 AM in response to Marja E

Hi Marja,

According to the developer's site, the last version (2.4.2) of k2pdfopt was built in May 2017 for macOS which predates the release of macOS 10.12.6 (your profile) or any High Sierra release. The segmentation fault is caused by an application attempting to access restricted memory space, and the operating system stopping this attempt.

The resolution of this issue is that the developer needs to fix bad behavior in his application, and recompile/release it as an updated version. You cannot fix it by tweaking the operating system.

How can I avoid segmentation fault 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.