Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nano does not add music succecfully to Database

This has happen serveral times, and I am begging to get fed up with it...

The thing is, i copy some music via iTunes too my nano, sometimes many files and larger files, then i disconnect, but the recently added files are nowhere on the nano, then i try to plug the nano to the usb port, and on the info page for the nano i iTunes, i can now see that app. the amount of data i just added is displayed as "Other" (the orange bar). So each time, i have to go trough the hidden files in winamp and compare them with what the iTunes has listed, and the delete accordingly... Is there any fix to this, cause I am begging to get tired of doing this everytime!
I use iTunes 7.0.2 which should be the lastest.

iPod Nano 2'nd Gen 8 gb (Vers 1.1.1), Windows XP

Posted on Jan 18, 2007 4:59 PM

10 replies

Jan 19, 2007 2:04 AM in response to KaeBFly

It's just regular mp3 format, some with CBR some with VBR but all within the range of 128 to 320 kbps... But there is nothing wrong with the files, cause when i try to add the files again, the files that where not added are succecfully added on the secound try...

Maybe I will have to try the 5 R's, but wanne see if there is a better solution than just starting over, firstly because i don't wanna refind the music that i want on my nano again, secoundly I don't wanna lose some music that i have deleted on my computer... And thirdly, who's not to say that it won't happen again...

Jan 19, 2007 2:10 AM in response to Chris CA

Don't think that has anything too do with my problem, cuase even dough the newly added files can't be seen on either the iPod or iTunes after i have disconnected the iPod (disconnected it succesfully i might add) I am still able to go to the ipod_control/music folder and add the whole folder to winamp, and there i can see both the content the iPod has in it's database and the content that the iPod can't see, and I am able to play it all...

Jan 19, 2007 11:27 AM in response to Slowazz

I am a bit confused...are you using iTunes to import the music into iTunes or are you using some other method? Please describe exactly how you are getting your music into iTunes in the first place. My natural assumption was that you were using the "Add File/Folder To Library" option in iTunes by going to File and then choosing the above statement, and then using the dialog box that pops up to locate the music you want to add to the iTunes library. If this isn't what you are doing you might want to try that.

Also, to help you out on the finding music thing...assuming you get it into iTunes, you can make playlists or smart playlists (that can be set up by artist or a long list of other rules you can choose) to make the task a bit easier if in the future you have a problem with music not working correctly on the iPod. That's just one idea...

Jan 19, 2007 12:52 PM in response to Chris CA

Okay, I think that both of your questions can be answered with at once, so I am gonna go ahead and reply to this only...

I have the the files on my computer, I add the files to to the iTunes liberary, then i selected the music i want on my iPod, then i transfer the files, wait for gapless playback thing to be proccesed, then I check in iTunes if the music is on my iPod, which it is, then i add the differnt tracks to the "correct" playlist, i can play the files under iTunes from the iPod, then I disconnect the iPod with the eject button in iTunes... Now i look for the newly added files on my iPod, they are nowhere near to be found, neither playlist, artist, song, search or whatever, I can't find the files... Then i connect the iPod to my computer again, look under iTunes, the music is still under my computer liberary, but it is missing from my iPod liberary, both from the playlist and the music liberary... So naturaly i assume that the files has been deleted from the iPod, but under the status bar for my iPod, there is now a amount of data shown as other wich corresponds to the amount of data that i have just added... Then i go inside windows pathfinder, locate the iPod drive, go inside the ipod control/music folder, and add all content from this folder (i.e. the F0X hidden folders) to winamp, now here i can see all the music i just have added, with the correct id3 tag, well a few is just shown as the four letter random word that iTunes gives the files (i.e. missing id3 tag)... They all are able to play under winamp... So obviously the files aren't deleted...

So now I have to compare the iTunes iPod playlist and the winamp playlist, and then delete all the files in pathfinder that are shown in winamp but not in iTunes iPod liberary, as you can imaging this takes alot of times when when we are dealing with so many tracks, cause I just can't readd the files again without deleting the tracks, because then they are on the iPod twice, one version not on iPod's playlist and one version on the playlist...

So you can see my frustration for have to doing this each and everytime...

Jan 19, 2007 1:10 PM in response to Slowazz

Ok. It sounds like you need to restore your iPod. It may not be the greatest thing but it sounds like that may be what the issue is. I know that may be frustrating but it would be a lot easier than having to go through what you do....and if it doesn't work for you (hopefully it will) then you may need to contact your nearest Apple store or call Apple for support.

And as mentioned before (I believe), you can make the process a bit easier (as far as putting music back on your iPod) by making the playlists in iTunes first and then dragging the playlist to your iPod to sync them as opposed to adding the songs individually and then making the playlists in the iPod. It would make things a bit faster...and save you the hassle of recreating the playlists if something went wrong with the iPod (like you needed to restore for a different reason) in the future.

Nano does not add music succecfully to Database

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.