Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp APFS

Hi All,

I had hoped to install Windows on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.2, but Bootcamp won’t let me. I get the attached error so does that mean APFS is the problem here?

Would it just be easier to revert to HFS+ and how to do that? I have a Time Machine backup of my System and apps/docs and I think I’d prefer just having to deal with partitions rather than containers.

Thanks in advance for any pointers/solutions.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Bootcamp

Posted on Dec 30, 2017 10:38 AM

6 replies

Dec 30, 2017 10:54 AM in response to OnnikJames

See APFS with Time Machine, Boot Camp & File Vault for information. My suggestion would be to use HFS+, but that requires you re-format the entire drive erasing all that is on the drive. If that isn't a problem then do the following:

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the physical drive (out-dented entry, usually model name) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Dec 30, 2017 11:38 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks. This might be the best solution I should consider. Just wondering if it matters that I’ve backed up an APFS system to Time Machine on an external drive. I know the Time Machine won’t be in APFS, but would it have to restore to an APFS file system or is it able to reinstall everything to a HFS+ system running High Sierra?

Dec 30, 2017 11:46 AM in response to OnnikJames

The Apple Kernel Core Dump is invalid on a released High Sierra version.

Also, regarding TM, the Sparse Bundle decides who the restore will work. It is not related to the TM disk format, or the disk format of the destination. If you restore the full TM backup, TM will erase/reformat the disk as necessary, including conversion from HFS+ to APFS.

Bootcamp APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.