Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External USB Drives Not Mounting on Wake From Sleep on new iMac Pro

I have been using my new 10-core iMac Pro now for about three days. In terms of external hard drives I have two Western Digital USB 3 hard drives (each 3 TB) and a Pegasus 3 R6 24 TB raid attached to the iMac Pro. Each of the Western Digital hard drives is connected directly to the USB 3 slots on the rear of the iMac Pro -- not through a USB 3 hub. My iMac Pro goes to sleep properly, but when I wake the iMac Pro from sleep, I get the "Drive not ejected properly" warning for each of the WD external hard drives and they do not show up on the desktop. A restart of the iMac Pro solves the problem, but this occurs consistently each time I wake up the iMac Pro.

Both of these WD external hard drives were previously used on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro and I never had any problem with them not coming up mounted on waking the MacBook Pro from sleep.

I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone may have for solving this problem so that a restart is not necessary to keep these two external hard drives mounted after a wake from sleep of the iMac Pro.

Thank you in advance for responding.

Tom

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), 2 TB flash ram, 64 GB, Vega 64 Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2017 6:35 PM

45 replies

Jan 4, 2018 4:27 AM in response to TomWheel

Hi

I have Mac Pro 2013 I had the same problem throughout Mac OS 10.11 and up when USB drives are connected to the and the system goes to sleep the external USB drives Will not mount when Mac awakes because.

This problem effects USB drives and thunderbolts drives connected to the Mac by

USB hub and Direct connection to the Mac.

or

Direct connection Thunderbolt to the Mac.

This is cause by the Mac thinking that the drives are sleeping. To fix this problem:

1. Go to the "Apple menu" and select "System preferences"

2. Select "Energy saver pane" l then deselect "put hard drives to sleep when possible"

And when your system makes up you will see that drives still mounted just make sure that all connections are connect properly.

This will stop the drives going to sleep. This does not wil not Harm your drives at all.

This fix my problem drives not mounting after sleep.

Hope this helps

Angelo

Jan 4, 2018 8:32 AM in response to Angelo Lazaridis

Angelo,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The very first thing I did when I received my iMac Pro over a week ago was to go to System Preferences>Energy Saving, and uncheck the box beside the option to "put drives to sleep when possible". I have even gone in and checked and unchecked that option again, but unfortunately this did not have any impact on the issue of my two Western Digital external hard drives ejecting during a wake from sleep and not mounting requiring either a restart of the iMac Pro or unplugging and plugging back in the hard drives.

To end on a positive note, I have been working quite a bit to remove unneeded applications that launch when I start up my iMac Pro, and when I put me iMac Pro to sleep last night and woke it up this morning, all of my drives were mounted and working properly. Furthermore, after putting the iMac Pro to sleep for three more hours today, upon waking it all of the external hard drives are mounted and working properly. I am not ready to declare the problem solved, but I am more optimistic than I have been.

Tom

Mar 14, 2018 7:54 AM in response to TomWheel

I wanted to make a final post to this thread (started on December 30, 2017) three days after I received my new iMac Pro and discovered that all USB drives (of any type and brand) connected to the iMac Pro would immediately eject upon waking from sleep.

After working with several Apple Senior Advisors for more than six weeks, I am pleased to say that this issue has been solved. It was solved by removing a file (Pegasus2R2ICON.kext) from the systems library and placing it in the trash. This is one of two files installed by the driver download for the new Pegasus3 R6 raid 5 array that I purchased at the same time as my iMac Pro and installed on the thunderbolt 3 port. The driver, downloaded directly from the Promise site, is the correct one, but this file (which appears to serve no purpose since the Pegasus3 works fine with that file removed) is directly responsible for the immediate ejection of all external USB drives attached to the iMac Pro. I have never had a single ejection of the external USB drives since removing this file more than 14 days ago. Restoring this file and rebooting, then putting the iMac Pro to sleep and waking it in an hour or so produces an immediate ejection of the external USB hard drives.

Thus, the problem was related to the specific configuration of my iMac Pro (which has a Western Digital thunderbolt 2 My Book hard drive, a Pegasus3 thunderbolt 3 R6 raid array, and two WesternDigital USB 3 hard drives attached to its ports. Had I not had any USB drives attached to the iMac Pro I would never have seen the drive ejection issue even with the Pegasus3 attached. When I had external hard drives attached to the iMac Pro but no Pegasus3 on the iMac Pro, I never had a drive ejection problem. When I have the Pegasus 3 R6 array attached to the iMac Pro, but I remove the Pegasus2R2ICON.kext file and place it in the trash, I have no ejection of the external hard drives, and I see no deleterious results on the performance or operation of the Pegasus3 R6.

I have also observed and reported in the Bootcamp Apple forums that attachment of the Pegasus3 R6 to my iMac Pro results in my being unable to boot into Windows 10 (installed under Bootcamp). If I remove the Pegasus3 from the iMac Pro, I can boot every time into Windows 10 with no issues. I have notified and I am working with Promise Technology on these two issues produced by the Pegasus3 attached to an iMac Pro, but to date no resolution of the issue of being unable to boot into Windows 10 with the Pegasus3 attached has been forthcoming from Promise Support.

Tom

Jan 18, 2018 10:35 AM in response to TomWheel

I found this post about someone having a similar problem. It was on External Hard Drive not Mounting | Apple Developer Forums and here is the contents:

dcp2798May 3, 2017 12:52 AM(in response to nexkulit)

This did not work for me.
I spent some time searching and came up with this solution that did work:

Open the finder preferences:
Finder > Preference
In the general tab reset the default values:
1. Show these items on the desktop (uncheck all)
2. New Finder Windows show (All My Files)

3. Open folders in tabs instead of new windows (check)

Then I unplug and plug back in my HD.

I then Reset System Management Controller SMC:

Shut down

Press and hold

shift, ctrl cmd(option) + power

When I booted and set my finder preference back to show all external HD's. everything worked and I have not had a problem since.

Now even my Tech Tool emergency disk is performing correctly.

iMac Late 2013 27"

Sierra 10.12.4

Good luck...

Dec 30, 2017 6:55 PM in response to TomWheel

Don't have a solution, but this is possibly an issue with your external drive. I just did a test on my iMac Pro. I have three external LaCie Thunderbolt 3 RAIDs (daisy-chained, connected to one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports). I then had a LaCie Porsche external USB 3.0 drive connected to a type-A USB 3 port. Slept and woke up the Mac and didn't see what you have been finding.

I then did the same test, but this time connecting the LaCie Porsche to a type-C USB 3 port. No issues either with sleep/wake.

What are your Energy Saver settings? The only checkbox I have checked is 'Prevent computer from sleeping automatically...'. Wonder if this is somehow tied to the 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible setting'?

Dec 30, 2017 8:08 PM in response to as_909

I really appreciate your taking the time to explore this issue with your iMac Pro. Thank you for doing so.

I don't think it is an issue with the hard drives since both are behaving the same way, i.e. failing to mount on a wake from sleep and both external hard drives were snot showing this behavior on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro to which they were attached. I continue to explore this problem, and report any new results that I find. Thanks again.

My energy settings are the same as yours. I do not have our hard drives to sleep checked. In fact, I have checked and then unchecked that to see if it made any difference. It did not. Both of these external hard drives are connected to the type-A USB ports on the rear of my iMac Pro. One possibility is that my Pegasus3 R6 raid takes a few seconds to come on upon wake from sleep, but I don't see how this could impact the USB 3 ports on the iMac Pro. For now it represents an irritating mystery.

Tom

Jan 3, 2018 4:26 PM in response to as_909

Unfortunately after more than a week of working with my iMac Pro the problem of my two external WD USB3 HD's not mounting upon wake from sleep has never been resolved. I have been in touch with three different Apple Support individuals. One of them told me it was a Western Digital problem and there was nothing Apple could do. Needless to say, I did not agree with that since when I start the iMac Pro up cold or do a restart the two hard drives always mount, and I never have an issue with the drives unmounting until I put the computer to sleep for an hour or more and then wake it up. Several times I thought I had solved the issue with a PRAM reset and an SMC reset, but in both cases the external hard drives mounted once when I woke the computer from sleep and then after that the same old problem of not showing up after waking it from sleep reoccurred. I escalated the problem in Apple Support and I am still hopeful that eventually they will come up with a solution.

Tom

Jan 7, 2018 1:55 PM in response to TomWheel

Just wanted to post an update. My iMac Pro has continued to frequently not mount my two Western Digital USB3 hard drives. Three days ago I worked for several hours over three phone calls with a senior Apple Supprt person. We removed every item in my list of programs loading on startup. That did not resolve the problem. We then removed several items from User>Library >Launch Daemons, System Library>Launch. Agents, and a few ktext files that he felt could be causing the problem. The drives still continue to not mount after the iMac Pro wakes from sleep about 75% of the time, and of course the iMac Pro was basically useless with these files removed. The Senior Advisor was to call me back, and further work to restore the files that had been removed but has never done so. That was 4 days ago. I have now restored the essential files to their proper place in order to be able to use this $9,000 computer for useful work. The iMac Pro runs all apps fine, but still dismounts. My two external USB3 HDs about 75% of the time upon wake from sleep.

I have now removed the older of the current two external USB3 drives and replaced it with a newly purchased WD My Passport bus-powered USB3 HD. If that does not solve this issue, I will remove the other WD USB3 HD, leaving only the bus-powered USB3 HD in place. I’ll report back in a few days whether this solved the dismount issues or not.

Tom

Jan 9, 2018 1:09 PM in response to TomWheel

Since my last post I have (1) purchased and plugged into the iMac Pro a new Western Digital My Passport 4TB bus-powered USB HD. With only this new HD installed more than 75% of the time when I wake the iMac Pro from sleep, I get the ”drives not ejected properly” and the HD Is not mounted. (2) I then replaced the WD hard drive with an Orico external enclosure containing a 1 TB HD and a USB interface. With that USB3 HD plugged into the USB3 port of the iMac Pro I also got the same message and the HD was not mounted on waking the iMac Pro from sleep. I have done an SMC reset and a NVRAM reset. These did not solve the problem. I have reinstalled Mac OS High Sierra, and that did not remove the problem. I have contacted Apple Support 4 times regarding the USB3 issue. At the request of an Apple Senior Advisor I prepared and submitted a full system diagnostic using software provided by the Advisor and that has been submitted to the Apple Engineering Team.

At this point I have exhausted all solutions that have been provided or can imagine. In as much as the USB3 ports on my iMac Pro are dysfunctional, I have removed all USB devices from the iMac Pro and I am using only Thunderbolt3 and Thunderbolt 2 external hard drives. There appears to be no problems with Thunderbolt hard drives on waking the iMac Pro from sleep.

i am very disappointed that on this very expensive iMac Pro I cannot use any USB3 external HD.

Tom

Jan 18, 2018 8:31 AM in response to TomWheel

Hi Tom,

I know it is not particularly a help, but I am seeing exactly the same issue on my MacBook Pro (2015 model). This, I guess, will rule out hardware, it must be OS related.

To add to the situation I am also having an issue with the built-in SD reader, with exactly the same issue... which can be frustrating when importing images in C1.

I was just preparing to do a rebuild on my MBP, but when I found this thread, and you said that it hasn't worked, I am not going to bother with doing a rebuild.

If you ever did get anywhere with this I would be keen to hear from you... if I manage to find anything, I will let you know.

Kevin

EDIT: I thought I would also add that it isn't anything to do with disk format too, as I have one external port-powered drive as APFS, external mains-powered drive (LaCie 3TB) is Mac OS Journaled (Time machine), and then the SD card is FAT32. I haven't been keeping tabs on which drives are dismounting all the time, but I am going to start to see if there is any one in particular that keeps dismounting.

Jan 18, 2018 9:26 AM in response to TomWheel

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your making the effort to share your experience with me.

I have spent a lot of time on Google researching this problem, and indeed I can find that ejecting external USB drives is a common Apple problem, although I have five other Macs including a fully maxed out Late 2013 Mac Pro and none of them have ever exhibited the issue of ejecting USB drives on waking from sleep. I have confirmed that dismounting the USB drives on this iMac Pro happens consistently and 90% of the time on wake from sleep even for USB2 hard drives and USB2 and USB3 flash drives. In addition, I am fairly certain that the problem with the USB ports on my iMac Pro is associated with my inability to boot into Windows 10 (installed using Bootcamp Assistant) with any external USB hard drives attached. The iMac pro simply hangs at the Windows logo screen and spinning white circle of dots and never boots. If I remove the external USB hard drives, the iMac Pro will boot into Windows 10 every time with no problems.

I have been in contact with four different Apple Support staff regarding these two problems and I still have an open case. Two of these four Apple Support persons are Senior Apple Advisors. One of them simply stopped communicating with me regarding the problem even after promising to call me back in order to repair a lot of library and system files that he had me remove while trying to solve the two issues. The second Apple Senior Advisor communicated well with me for a week, and now he, too, has simply disappeared. He was supposedly working with an Apple engineering team on the problem, but other than asking me additional questions which I gladly answered in the hopes of solving the problems, I have received no useful suggestions that have helped with either problem.

I believe this is a hardware problem with my specific iMac Pro (since no other iMac Pro owners on the Apple Forums are reporting this problem and two have assured me they do not have the problem). I identified the problem the day after receiving my iMac Pro (December 26th) and filed a formal case with Apple Support on January 2, 2018. This case remains open and active. I have asked for a replacement iMac Pro configured as this one is and I have even offered to have Apple put a charge on my credit card to enable an advance placement of a new iMac Pro to be sent to me. To date I have not been successful in convincing Apple Support to take this course of action.

The bottom line is that I have had a dysfunctional iMac Pro (approximately $9,000) for more than three weeks with no sign of any resolution of the two issues I have described. I am very disappointed with Apple regarding the support that I have received on these problems.

Tom

Jan 18, 2018 12:10 PM in response to dot.com

Thank you very much for posting this abstract from a discussion on the Apple Development Forums.

I followed the directions carefully and completed the entire procedure. Unfortunately, these changes did not resolve either of the two issues (USB external drives ejecting on wake from sleep or being unable to boot into Windows 10 with any external USB drives attached to my iMac Pro)

I was not surprised since upon reading the entire discussion in the thread this procedure seems to be addressing an issue wherein USB drives are not being mounted on booting the Mac. That is not my problem at all. All of my USB external drives are always mounted when I boot up my iMac Pro or when I eject, unplug, and plug them in again. However they are ejected 95% of the time upon waking my iMac Pro from sleep. That and my inability to boot the iMac Pro into Windows 10 with external drives connected are my two issues. I believe these two issues are related, but I do not have direct evidence of that.

Thank you again.

Tom

Jan 18, 2018 1:27 PM in response to TomWheel

Hi Tom, Hi Kevin,

exact the same problem here. With WD plugged to USB-3, Seagate plugged to USB-3, Lacie Mobile plugged to USB-C. No Problem with Pegasus2 R4 with Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter.

This appears with Mac OS Extended and APFS formatted drives....

I was using the first 5K iMac for some years now and never had this problem. I'm not 100% sure... but to 95% it starts to behave like your description on my old 5k iMac after updating to High Sierra.... or some Update of High Sierra. Now I have the same behavior on my iMac Pro with latest High Sierra.

In my point of view it is not a Hardware problem... for me it looks like a Software problem.

I think the problem is not during the wake up .. I think the problem is when the Mac is going to sleep. For me the sleep command to the external drives come to early... when they are not successfully ejected.... when Mac wakes up I think he will remember the not successfully ejected drives and do not send a wake up command.

All works fine with reboot, power on, hot plug.... so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

For me it looks like how High Sierra controls sleep and wake up....

Perhaps I'm thinking wrong.... I just summarize what I see and what feeling I have....

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), 2 TB SSD, 64 GB, Vega 64 Pro

Jan 18, 2018 1:33 PM in response to MyKate

It appears that it is mostly my SD card that is giving me the issues, it is formatted as exFAT, if that is of any use (Tom, presumably your drive will be if it is also a Windows partition?). I am going to see if I can leave it out for a while to see if any of the other drives decide to throw the same error at all.

Again, sorry it isn't really helping you much Tom. I'll see if leaving the SD card out helps at all.

External USB Drives Not Mounting on Wake From Sleep on new iMac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.