Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

burning music cds from itunes with song data included

The music media in my itunes library was all burned from original music CD's using WAV format. The tracks are stored on a 4TB external HD. Most modern CD players have screens that show song/artist/album/time, etc. data as a running text across the screen as the disc is playing. Just like the track number this is information that from all I understand, is perfectly able to be part of the data transfered to music media CD's during the burn process. I have such a player in my car and it works perfectly with commercially purchased CD recordings as well as most music CD's I've burned from my itunes library. I was a former DJ and have set up my itunes media library preserve my huge collection in as highest quality as I believe possible. I burn media into my itunes library using all the official/ original CD's in WAV format. I use WAV to save all the original data and music to the highest quality settings because I like to burn CD's for for myself and others. I have burned CD's (often compilations and not just a song for song copy of a CD) created from my itunes library a few years back that show all the artist, song and title information while playing on my car stero. I have been doing this for years. (NOTE: none of the songs/tracks in my itunes library were downloaded from the itunes store. They are all original commercial CD recordings.)

What is troubling is that recently burned CD's are not showing any information when I play them on my car CD player. I'm trying to figure out what has changed? I can't find any preference for the data transfer of information in itunes. Yes, I realize that some older CD's first edition and such may not have any of this data on the commercial CD. In those situations I have either used gracenote or manually filled in the appropriate information to match the CD in my itunes library. To simply say that data can not be (or isn't) transferred during a burn is nonsense. At a bear minimum the track numbers are data that is transfered since the playlist will play on the burned disc in the same order as the itunes playlist, just with no other information listed. This extra data can be transfered into the itunes library and is subsequently transferable to any CD's one is burning from the itunes library. I know this to be true because I have done it in the past, even with mixed artist playlists. I am not certain but It seems to me that there may be a setting in itunes that either allows this or not. I have read a lot of answers to similar questions that don't clearly address the issue. I still don't have the answer. Why is the artist/song/album/time etc. data transfered or not transfered when burning from Itunes stored media to a music media CD? What follows are a few possibilities that I've though of....

(1) Perhaps it involves the format itself? I currently use WAV with the assumption that it is as close to the original CD as possible. I could understand if I was transfering the orig. media in a smaller file format and perhaps some data is dropped for space, but I'm not. As noted everything burned to my itunes library was done in the full WAV format. In my case there is no reason to believe the format is the issue.

(2) Could the CD recording optical disc drive be the issue? I used to use the built-in internal mac optical disc drive (I have the last MB model to include this) to both burn into my itunes library and to burn the music CD's. Unfortunately my mac optical disc drive died last year. Since then I've been using a stand alone external LG M-optical disc drive. Would some optical drives be unable to read the data information? Might that be my problem?

This raises another interesting question I have. When burning my Original Source CD's to the itunes library with my new LG disc drive they show up as being at 1536 kbps WAV audio files. Older files in my library that I used the internal mac disc drive show up as being at 1411 kbps WAV audio files. The preference settings for both were the same from all I know. It is only the optical disc drives that seem to be the difference. Or...could the disk space available where the media pathway is sourced be a problem? For a time I somehow inadvertently changed the media pathway to source my laptop causing avail. space issues. This gives me pause to think that the disc drive itself is a determining factor in how much information (as well as the quality of said information) is transfered in the burn? Even though this is a separate issue, can anyone help me to understand the differences in final kbps numbers?

(3) This is only a related sidebar but it is interesting to note that when burning from an itunes library onto a usb flash drive the song tracks will only load in a set order (in alphabetical order by song) unless you manually manipulate the track data within the itunes library playlist. (if I recall it involves inserting alphabetical letters a,b,c in front of each track (decending) in your itunes library playlist prior to the burn to resolve this). I have found no easy way around this. Any suggestions as to an easy way to burn to a flash in order to get a flash to read the track numbers in the order of the itunes playlist and not via the alphabetical first letter of the song? I haven't listened to one of my flash drives in a while but ironically I recall that all the artist, song etc. data did transfer in the burn. It was just the track order that was screwed up.

(4) Could it be an itunes update? I don't recall consciously updating my itunes library in the past few years. I did it once several years back and realized that some functions were no longer avail. and others changed. For example the ability to maintain a zero pause for live recordings was eliminated during that update. Now when burning a live recording to CD there is not only a pause marker to distinguish the track, but there is a one second interval of silence (even if you set it at zero in the preferences, the playback will insert that one second of silence ohhhhh man.) I don't know if this is a filter that affects the burn to the itunes library from the orig. CD. When I listen to a live album from my itunes library on my computer it is hard to hear any silence but on any burned CD copy it's there. I have older copies of CD's recorded prior to that update that burn a continuous live sound. The point is that Apple changed that at one update and it in effect changed the ability to burn the original format from any live original CD. The only way I know around this is to purchase additional sound mixing software In this way, might it be that a more current itunes has dropped the ability to transfer the artist, song etc. data in the copy burn? I doubt this one however. Last time I updated itunes was years ago and the loss of the data burn issue is very recent. Unless of course I inadvertently updated itunes very recently without realizing it somehow?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Dec 30, 2017 6:15 PM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2017 6:42 PM in response to hopscotch821

I'll answer my own question. I have discovered that there is a check box that appears in the pop up window just after you initiate the burn to CD sequence. By checking this box you allow the text data be transferred in the burn. The kbps discrepency I mention remains a mystery. I still wonder about the burning to usb flash but I'll apply that to a more suitable forum title.

Jan 9, 2018 1:17 PM in response to hopscotch821

CD Text isn't readable by every player. iTunes for example won't read it back. Modern CD players that can play data CDs can handle tracks in .mp3 and perhaps other formats. These files contain the metadata such as artist, album, song names etc. in a tag that is stored in the file alongside the audio data. .wav files cannot have a tag added which makes them less than ideal for use in multiple environments such as Data CDs or USB drives, or even a new iTunes library. AIFF or Apple Lossless both support tags, but might not be compatible with your other hardware.

tt2

burning music cds from itunes with song data included

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.