You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to archive a airport time capsule to a nas drive

I have encountered a disk error on my Airport Time Capsule telling me this:

User uploaded file

After taking it to the Genius Bar the said that it isn't repairable but you can archive this to a USB Hard Drive, So I purchased a WD My Cloud 2tb NAS Drive that has a USB 3 connection to which I was told could archive on to. Unfortunately this isn't working have I done something wrong?

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac

Posted on Dec 31, 2017 4:37 AM

3 replies

Dec 31, 2017 6:46 AM in response to Lives

If the Time Capsule disk needs repairs, then I'm not sure whether it can be used to Archive its contents.

I assume that the NAS has been formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), correct? Otherwise, the drive cannot be used for the archive operation. Things would be simpler if you had a simple USB drive, not a NAS.

What steps did you take to try to archive the contents of the Time Capsule disk to the USB disk?

Jan 2, 2018 1:17 PM in response to Lives

The advice is wrong.. you cannot archive a disk that needs repair.. it must be removed from the TC and special recovery tools used to extract the contents.

You also bought the wrong product.

You need a plain USB disk.. what you purchased is a NAS.. and the USB port is for backup of the NAS.. To my knowledge it cannot be used for a direct connection to the hard disk.

And in this case.. both wrongs don't make it right.

But you can start doing backups to the MyCloud.. as a network device it is able to do time machine.

Do you have files that are important to recover?? If not then you can try a full one pass erase of the disk in the TC.. all files will be lost in the this low level format.

Is the TC still in warranty or less than 3 years old so under applecare .. if so Apple should just replace it.

how to archive a airport time capsule to a nas drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.