Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video in iMovie is too dark. Movie's produced from iMovie have correct brightness.

I'm having a problem where movies in iMovie theater (and iMovie projects) are being displayed much too dark. If I watch the same video in the Quicktime player application the brightness is correct. If I produce a movie from iMovie the brightness of the output movie is correct.

I must have a bad 'setting' somewhere. Any ideas how to fix this?

I included a good screenshot below. It shows the exact same content in both iMovie and Quicktime player.

Computer: 27" iMac (2012), 16GB RAM, 8TB external hard drive

Mac OS: v10.13.2 (high Sierra)

iMovie: v10.13.2

Color Profile on iMac: System Preferences->Displays->Color->Display Profile->iMac.

iMac Display Brightness is set to 'the brightest' setting possible.

I created a new 'calibrated' color profile and got the same results. I've switched back to the iMac color profile.

I have closed and opened iMovie a bunch of times.

I have restarted the Mac twice.

This problem occurred when I switched between Macs. My iMac went into Apple for service, I temporary used a Mac Mini, when the iMac came back from service this is when the "dark iMovie" behavior began. (in all cases I have been booting off the external 8TB hard drive.)

Note: I've been a Mac user for about 10 years.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Clint

Screen Capture: This is the exact same content being viewed in iMovie (left) and Quicktime player (right.)

User uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Dec 31, 2017 6:14 PM

6 replies

Jan 1, 2018 12:02 PM in response to Clint_from_HR

Hmmmm.

As a temporary measure, you can brighten the clips in your project by selecting them individually or as a batch and using the brightness adjustment slider found when you click on the color palette icon in the tool bar at the upper right of your screen.

User uploaded file

Try opening the clip in Quicktime Player and then saving it to your desktop. That will give you a .mov

file. Drag that file into iMovie and see if the brightness displays properly.

I am unclear as to what you mean when you say "movies in iMovie theater . . . are being displayed much too dark". What is puzzling me is that you appear to be able to share out a project to your desktop and have it play fine, but movies shared to Theater are dark? Do the movies in Theater display darkly when you play them by clicking on the project icon in the Theater library screen? When you drag a movie from the Theater screen to your desktop, does it play in QT Player O.K? Or are you referring only to the brightness of the Theater icons themselves? When you share a movie simultaneously to a File on your desktop and to Theater, do they both display O.K. when played?

At this point I would try a re-download of iMovie. If you are able to share out your projects and have them play O.K, then something is not functioning correctly with the display in iMovie, and perhaps a re-download will cure that.

-- Rich

Video in iMovie is too dark. Movie's produced from iMovie have correct brightness.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.