Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if i purchase an apple watch from att, can i use it on t mobile?

I was given a series 3 watch from att, but i have tmobile. Would i be able to use it on t mobile network?

Posted on Dec 31, 2017 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2018 2:28 AM

Hi

Yes, you can.

There are two different versions of Apple Watch Series 3:

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)

In respect of the built-in cellular feature, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) does not lock to any specific carrier and has an embedded SIM / eSIM, which copies information from the SIM card in the paired iPhone when the cellular feature is enabled.

Enabling the built-in cellular feature requires a carrier plan for your iPhone that specifically includes support for Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), including the carrier activating the device on the plan:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Even if your Apple Watch and iPhone have previously been set up using a plan from one carrier, but you wish to change to another, then you can still do so by following the instructions here, under "Changing carriers":

Set up and use cellular on Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) - Apple Support

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) can also be used without enabling the built-in cellular feature, in which case it functions like a GPS-only model and can be used in conjunction with a service plan for iPhone from any carrier, with no need to activate the watch on the plan.

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS)

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) models do not have built-in cellular capabilities.

Any data consumed by Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) is consumed either via the paired iPhone (including Wi-Fi and cellular data) or via a direct connection between the watch and a compatible Wi-Fi network (when the watch cannot connect to the paired iPhone via Bluetooth).

A separate cellular plan for the Apple Watch is not required.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2018 2:28 AM in response to Chrisgin_

Hi

Yes, you can.

There are two different versions of Apple Watch Series 3:

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)

In respect of the built-in cellular feature, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) does not lock to any specific carrier and has an embedded SIM / eSIM, which copies information from the SIM card in the paired iPhone when the cellular feature is enabled.

Enabling the built-in cellular feature requires a carrier plan for your iPhone that specifically includes support for Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), including the carrier activating the device on the plan:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Even if your Apple Watch and iPhone have previously been set up using a plan from one carrier, but you wish to change to another, then you can still do so by following the instructions here, under "Changing carriers":

Set up and use cellular on Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) - Apple Support

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) can also be used without enabling the built-in cellular feature, in which case it functions like a GPS-only model and can be used in conjunction with a service plan for iPhone from any carrier, with no need to activate the watch on the plan.

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS)

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) models do not have built-in cellular capabilities.

Any data consumed by Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) is consumed either via the paired iPhone (including Wi-Fi and cellular data) or via a direct connection between the watch and a compatible Wi-Fi network (when the watch cannot connect to the paired iPhone via Bluetooth).

A separate cellular plan for the Apple Watch is not required.

if i purchase an apple watch from att, can i use it on t mobile?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.