Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Personal Hotspot to Connect TV via iPhone

I bought a smart TV a few months ago and put it in a room where I want to watch cable and Netflix. The set has difficulty picking up the cable modem situated on another floor.

Can I use my iPhone 8 as a hotspot to connect the WiFi signal to the TV?

Thanks! And Happy New Year from NJ!

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2018 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2018 7:07 PM

Hotspot tethering is a carrier feature, so it’s going to use the cell phone’s cellular data internet connection for traffic. It does not simply act as a wifi extender for your home wifi router.

What you need is a wifi extender to simply bridge the distance from your router to that room. Then

everything can continue to just connect to your home wifi network. You can buy a basic wifi range extender at any consumer electronics store for $50 or so - netgear, d-link, Linksys, milo, Google wifi - lots of inexpensive options to extend the range of a home wifi network exist.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2018 7:07 PM in response to Chucktr150

Hotspot tethering is a carrier feature, so it’s going to use the cell phone’s cellular data internet connection for traffic. It does not simply act as a wifi extender for your home wifi router.

What you need is a wifi extender to simply bridge the distance from your router to that room. Then

everything can continue to just connect to your home wifi network. You can buy a basic wifi range extender at any consumer electronics store for $50 or so - netgear, d-link, Linksys, milo, Google wifi - lots of inexpensive options to extend the range of a home wifi network exist.

Using Personal Hotspot to Connect TV via iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.