Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie crashes every time when trying to open

i'm finding myself unable to open Imovie at all when i click on it... it opens with the loading box running through libraries then just crashes. i've tried following advice on previous threads but nothing seems to be working. my mac is running 10.13.2 and i'll copy all the sections of the report that it will let me post that keeps popping up below. if anyone has any ideas i'm all ears!

Process: iMovie [494]

Path: /Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/MacOS/iMovie

Identifier: com.apple.iMovieApp

Version: 10.1.8 (311956)

Build Info: iMovieX-31195006019000000~1

App Item ID: 408981434

App External ID: 824158953

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: iMovie [494]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-01-01 18:43:28.978 +0000

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.2 (17C88)

Report Version: 12

Anonymous UUID: 30C4383E-705E-E3FF-7334-4CCFCC3793E6

Time Awake Since Boot: 570 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4

Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:

*** CFEqual() called with NULL first argument ***

iMac, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jan 1, 2018 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 10:58 AM

Possibly you have some corruption in your iMovie library or in some project in it.

Things to try:

1. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. (Do this one first, before trying anything else, because it is easy to do.)

2. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option key, and then selecting to create a new library in which iMovie will open. If it opens, then you can try copying your projects from the old library to the new library, one at a time, and opening iMovie each time until you hit a crash. When you hit a crash, the last project added will be the one that caused it.

3. Open iMovie in a new user account. You can use the Guest account on your Mac for this purpose.

4. Open iMovie in Safe Mode, and then after it loads exit Safe Mode and reopen in regular mode.

5. Re-download iMovie.

6. If you are using an external monitor with a Mac laptop, open iMovie with the laptop lid open.

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2018 10:58 AM in response to PlymShooter

Possibly you have some corruption in your iMovie library or in some project in it.

Things to try:

1. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. (Do this one first, before trying anything else, because it is easy to do.)

2. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option key, and then selecting to create a new library in which iMovie will open. If it opens, then you can try copying your projects from the old library to the new library, one at a time, and opening iMovie each time until you hit a crash. When you hit a crash, the last project added will be the one that caused it.

3. Open iMovie in a new user account. You can use the Guest account on your Mac for this purpose.

4. Open iMovie in Safe Mode, and then after it loads exit Safe Mode and reopen in regular mode.

5. Re-download iMovie.

6. If you are using an external monitor with a Mac laptop, open iMovie with the laptop lid open.

-- Rich

Imovie crashes every time when trying to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.