Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud backup not backing up camera roll

icloud backup is not backing up my camera roll. I have icloud photo library turned OFF so based on this article, my camera roll should be included in my icloud backup, correct? Is there another setting I am missing to backup the camera roll? Is there a limit maybe? My camera roll is large, goes back to 2014.

I have confirmed I have enough space in icloud and I never get errors or running out of space issues on backup. My camera roll appears to be partially backed up (stopped backup up at some point; the restore stops April 2017). I just did a restore and camera roll is not fully restored. I have tried all 3 of the last backups, same issue. I have waited overnight connected to power & wifi for the downloading to complete and the camera roll is not restored.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 15" i7 2.2GHz Early 2011

Posted on Jan 1, 2018 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2018 12:24 PM

Thanks javaliga! You helped me greatly! My iCloud backup is now correctly backing up my camera roll.

I failed to say in my original post that I was doing this on my iphone 6 ios 11.2. So the steps are a little different and I will document them here in case anyone searches for this in the future. I could not find it via search hence my question here.

Steps to make sure your iphone Camera Roll is being backed up with your icloud backup:

1. Settings > Your Name (icloud at the top) > iCloud > Photos > Make sure Cloud Photo Library is turned off (white)

2. Settings > Your Name (icloud at the top) > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backup > [Your Device] (under BACKUPS) > make sure Photo Library switch is on (green).

You have to make sure BOTH steps are done above in order for your camera roll to be backed up with your iCloud backup. This Apple article is misleading, or perhaps outdated: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

It states:

Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch1

1. If you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your device, your photos and videos are already stored in iCloud, so they aren't included in your iCloud backup.

This is NOT true (only partially true)

You have to turn OFF iCloud Photo Library on your device (step 1)

AND

under "choose data to backup switch on "Photo Library" (step 2)

Step 2 was the part I was missing that javaliga help me find. At some point this must have been added as a new setting or was switched to off as default (maybe with ios 11?) since my backup was working until april 2017 and I am sure I never turned this off, at least intentionally, its pretty hard to find.

Thanks again javaliga!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2018 12:24 PM in response to javaliga

Thanks javaliga! You helped me greatly! My iCloud backup is now correctly backing up my camera roll.

I failed to say in my original post that I was doing this on my iphone 6 ios 11.2. So the steps are a little different and I will document them here in case anyone searches for this in the future. I could not find it via search hence my question here.

Steps to make sure your iphone Camera Roll is being backed up with your icloud backup:

1. Settings > Your Name (icloud at the top) > iCloud > Photos > Make sure Cloud Photo Library is turned off (white)

2. Settings > Your Name (icloud at the top) > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backup > [Your Device] (under BACKUPS) > make sure Photo Library switch is on (green).

You have to make sure BOTH steps are done above in order for your camera roll to be backed up with your iCloud backup. This Apple article is misleading, or perhaps outdated: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

It states:

Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch1

1. If you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your device, your photos and videos are already stored in iCloud, so they aren't included in your iCloud backup.

This is NOT true (only partially true)

You have to turn OFF iCloud Photo Library on your device (step 1)

AND

under "choose data to backup switch on "Photo Library" (step 2)

Step 2 was the part I was missing that javaliga help me find. At some point this must have been added as a new setting or was switched to off as default (maybe with ios 11?) since my backup was working until april 2017 and I am sure I never turned this off, at least intentionally, its pretty hard to find.

Thanks again javaliga!

icloud backup not backing up camera roll

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.