Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos "Cannot Import Item" unrecognizable file format or invalid data

Importing photos into Photos Library but half of the images are not importing with message that it may be an unrecognizable file format or the file may not contain valid data.

I tried converting the .jpg to .png and same error. The image opens fine with preview and was displaying in Photos with my external hard drive plugged in but will not import to the library now.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2018 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2018 12:18 PM

I had this problem, too, (or at least a similar one, as there are apparent many reasons for this error message) over and over as I imported photos. The message is accompanied with this icon as it prepares to import:

User uploaded file

The solution, which makes the process MUCH more time consuming, is to SHUT DOWN Photos and turn it back on. Then choose a much SMALLER batch (sometimes as few as 5-25 but usually about 100, which for me, was a real pain because I had to import 30K photos). Then WAIT until ALL the teeny thumbnails show up while it's preparing for import. If you just the gun, they the icons above will show in their place. NOTE: If you are importing only a few, the downloading of the teeny thumbnails will happen so fast, you won't have to wait to see them populate the screen.

I learned these tricks on my own after spending weeks trying to get all my photos uploaded into a new Photo Library. Apple does not provide an error message that correctly states that the error is trying to upload too many photos at a time, or you're trying to rush it, attempting to import before the program is ready to do so. It just gives the scary "unrecognizable" error message instead, throwing this problem in with a whole host of other problems that accompany this message, making it much more difficult for users to pinpoint the problem.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2018 12:18 PM in response to apple.everything

I had this problem, too, (or at least a similar one, as there are apparent many reasons for this error message) over and over as I imported photos. The message is accompanied with this icon as it prepares to import:

User uploaded file

The solution, which makes the process MUCH more time consuming, is to SHUT DOWN Photos and turn it back on. Then choose a much SMALLER batch (sometimes as few as 5-25 but usually about 100, which for me, was a real pain because I had to import 30K photos). Then WAIT until ALL the teeny thumbnails show up while it's preparing for import. If you just the gun, they the icons above will show in their place. NOTE: If you are importing only a few, the downloading of the teeny thumbnails will happen so fast, you won't have to wait to see them populate the screen.

I learned these tricks on my own after spending weeks trying to get all my photos uploaded into a new Photo Library. Apple does not provide an error message that correctly states that the error is trying to upload too many photos at a time, or you're trying to rush it, attempting to import before the program is ready to do so. It just gives the scary "unrecognizable" error message instead, throwing this problem in with a whole host of other problems that accompany this message, making it much more difficult for users to pinpoint the problem.

Jan 1, 2018 7:36 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi,

This is a separate post but same issue as in the original discussion. I am just importing from a folder on my desktop now. I suppose it is technically imported onto my hard drive now but on my desktop as Photos library will not import it.

When I have my external hard drive (Seagate) plugged in it does allow me to view all videos and photos in the Photos app but it does not permanently keep that imported in the iMac hard drive as when I unplug the external hard drive the photos stay with it.

Jan 1, 2018 8:34 PM in response to LarryHN

Unfortunately I guess that was not the issue. I connected the EHD, clicked open the Photos Library saved on it, and tried to consolidate the pictures but received the message "No Referenced Files to Consolidate" and "The selected items are already stored in the library". Again, when I unplug the EHD I have to quit photos because the library is not on my iMac hard drive

Jan 1, 2018 9:39 PM in response to apple.everything

If you did what I suggested that is not possible since by definition the only photos you are trying to import are referenced

For the third time

If they are referenced then connect the EHD and make a new smart album for -- Photo - is - referenced -- and select all then Consolidate (file menu ==> consolidate) to copy them correctly into the library -- and it would be a really good idea not to use referenced photos as advised in the linked article n the future

Since you are consolidating only references photos it is not possible that there are none - the albums you are selecting all in only had referenced photos in it

I have no idea what you are doing but you are not doing what I suggested

LN

Jan 1, 2018 9:43 PM in response to LarryHN

I did what you suggested but I'm saying that clearly that means I was incorrect when you initially asked if they were referenced. I said they may have been but I did not know what that meant or how you even make them referenced.

When I did the exact steps you listed it gave me that message which told me that I did not make them referenced in the first place. You listed the steps very simply and made it easy to follow so I'm sure this is not the issue or the solution for my problem.

Photos "Cannot Import Item" unrecognizable file format or invalid data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.