Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change iMessage color of the text?

I want know how to change the text color of imesssge. Like for example when you’re texting a person send a message to that person then it becomes blue on your text but when that person sent you a text back it gray but you want it in a different color.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 1:11 AM

Generally there are three colors the iOS messages app provides each for different sources

of messages they handle; gray is inconclusive. This one seems to appear when an iPhone

user is in an area where the cellular service doesn't have or has failed to encode messages.

The appearance in 'text balloons' is telling mostly for iOS Apple devices; though some non-

Apple other mobile-OS devices may show them (blue, along w/ iPhone message info header.)

They unlikely are user-changed, they're supposed to identify the end user/product signal source.

Various cellular providers may have software/hardware to facilitate use of these color identifiers.

While I've experienced there are three: the Blue is between iOS device/users; Green between

SMS/MMS user and iOS device user. Gray has happened in between both iOS iphone users,

non-Apple and Apple cell phone users; and also where both users have non-Apple cell phones...

{In this, a Gray one seems to differentiate that some aspect of the signal source isn't supported.}

I've been able to copy a generic text sent to a friend (from my iPhone) to his iPhone, and forward

that to a non-Apple phone, so they get a blue message. I can also send the other way, copy the

generic message in green (so those who'd not usually see the green text balloon) can get one.

Actually I'm not certain... but have observed how my iOS Devices, iMessage and Messages in Mac

handle SMS/MMS text messages; & haven't seen practical reason to change these identifier colors.

If you may find an answer, hopefully that won't confuse those of us who've come to rely on Standards.

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2018 1:11 AM in response to Tall_deaf18

Generally there are three colors the iOS messages app provides each for different sources

of messages they handle; gray is inconclusive. This one seems to appear when an iPhone

user is in an area where the cellular service doesn't have or has failed to encode messages.

The appearance in 'text balloons' is telling mostly for iOS Apple devices; though some non-

Apple other mobile-OS devices may show them (blue, along w/ iPhone message info header.)

They unlikely are user-changed, they're supposed to identify the end user/product signal source.

Various cellular providers may have software/hardware to facilitate use of these color identifiers.

While I've experienced there are three: the Blue is between iOS device/users; Green between

SMS/MMS user and iOS device user. Gray has happened in between both iOS iphone users,

non-Apple and Apple cell phone users; and also where both users have non-Apple cell phones...

{In this, a Gray one seems to differentiate that some aspect of the signal source isn't supported.}

I've been able to copy a generic text sent to a friend (from my iPhone) to his iPhone, and forward

that to a non-Apple phone, so they get a blue message. I can also send the other way, copy the

generic message in green (so those who'd not usually see the green text balloon) can get one.

Actually I'm not certain... but have observed how my iOS Devices, iMessage and Messages in Mac

handle SMS/MMS text messages; & haven't seen practical reason to change these identifier colors.

If you may find an answer, hopefully that won't confuse those of us who've come to rely on Standards.

Jan 2, 2018 4:07 AM in response to Tall_deaf18

There are other ideas and some similar to what has previously been posted...

Some are third-party, such as getting apps from App Store (that may offer the

better parts as in-app upgrade, etc.) First one seems to utilize 3rd-party app.

Others 'explain the what and why' of their being colors in the first place.

2 Easy Ways to Change iMessage Color - wikiHow

How to Change iMessage Color. ... the second allows you to change the color of
the text or the background (or both), and the third allows you to change the font.

How to change color of text bubble | Official Apple Support ...

You can change the green to blue by stopping using SMS and start using iMessage.
The Messages app uses those colors to indicate to you how a message is snt ...

How to Change Your Text Messages Color on Iphone - YouTube

This video will show you how to change the color of your sms and imessage bubbles

on your iphone or ipad. This method requires a jailbroken iphone or ipad ...

How To Tell iMessages From Text Messages - The Mac Observer

That color coding is key to knowing ... this will change. When you see the green ones,

that means ... It will say either "Text Message" or "iMessage" to help ...

User uploaded filehttps://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how-to-tell-imessages-from-te...

And a dogpile of extra bits arrive in bulk -- if you selectively search:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=imessage+change+text+color&t=ffsb&ia=web

Hopefully you can tweak them and also keep track of who has what, IF or when specific

known user's account has a problem with their SMS/MMS or iMessage; to troubleshoot.

How to change iMessage color of the text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.