Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos won't play in photos.

Hi,

I have MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011). I have always had recording of my son since a baby, he's now 6. Despite the videos showing up in Photos, they won't play and I get the message "Photos cannot play this video because it uses an unsupported format".

Im obviously very worried as I have hundreds of videos I do not want to lose.

I have updated to High Sierra, have VCL and Quick Time installed. It will play some very old videos, but there are more it won't play than will.

If the videos are showing in Photo, with a length of time of the video showing, surely they are still there (concerned somehow they are gone)?

Shall i try and roll back the operating system ?

I would appreciate all opinions on how to resolve this, Its keeping me awake at night with worry.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 12:29 PM

I have MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011). I have always had recording of my son since a baby, he's now 6. Despite the videos showing up in Photos, they won't play and I get the message "Photos cannot play this video because it uses an unsupported format".

This usually means that the referenced file contains third-party, proprietary, or "legacy" compression formats that are not "natively" supported by QTX structures embedded in post-Mountain Lion Mac operating systems which are now used by QTX, iTunes, Photos, etc. for playback. Such files can usually be transcoded to more modern compression formats like H.264/AAC or HEVC/AAC in MOV, MP4, or M4V file wrappers as desired by the user and/or required for native playback compatibility.

I have updated to High Sierra, have VCL and Quick Time installed. It will play some very old videos, but there are more it won't play than will.

Not sure what "It" refers to above. When it comes to native playback support, QTX has a "closed" configuration built into High Sierra which only supports a limited set of compression formats. On the other hand, VLC contains its own, built-in codecs supporting most common third-party, proprietary, and/or "legacy" compression formats and the QT7 Player is supported by an "open" codec configuration which the user can modify manually as needed for playback of specific compression formats.

If the videos are showing in Photo, with a length of time of the video showing, surely they are still there (concerned somehow they are gone)?

Until such time as you go through and check the files individually, my initial assumption would be that the files were imported and stored properly but have become playback incompatible over time as a result of macOS updates. All you need do is open the your Photos library and check the master video files to determine if they have a playback issue, are corrupted, are orphaned, or are missing.

I wouldn't. I'd just attempt to open the master files in an app like VLC. If they open, then check the media info to determine the compression formats used to create the files. If not already H.264/AAC, I'd probably convert them to H.264/AAC using HandBrake. If files are orphaned but still available, I'd attempt to restore the correct path to the target file. If the file container is corrupted but the data still intact, I attempt to copy the data to a new file container. However, if the file data is corrupted or the master file is missing, you are probably 'SOL' if you didn't keep back-up file and/or library copies.

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2018 12:29 PM in response to Colinbos

This usually means that the referenced file contains third-party, proprietary, or "legacy" compression formats that are not "natively" supported by QTX structures embedded in post-Mountain Lion Mac operating systems which are now used by QTX, iTunes, Photos, etc. for playback. Such files can usually be transcoded to more modern compression formats like H.264/AAC or HEVC/AAC in MOV, MP4, or M4V file wrappers as desired by the user and/or required for native playback compatibility.

Not sure what "It" refers to above. When it comes to native playback support, QTX has a "closed" configuration built into High Sierra which only supports a limited set of compression formats. On the other hand, VLC contains its own, built-in codecs supporting most common third-party, proprietary, and/or "legacy" compression formats and the QT7 Player is supported by an "open" codec configuration which the user can modify manually as needed for playback of specific compression formats.

Until such time as you go through and check the files individually, my initial assumption would be that the files were imported and stored properly but have become playback incompatible over time as a result of macOS updates. All you need do is open the your Photos library and check the master video files to determine if they have a playback issue, are corrupted, are orphaned, or are missing.

I wouldn't. I'd just attempt to open the master files in an app like VLC. If they open, then check the media info to determine the compression formats used to create the files. If not already H.264/AAC, I'd probably convert them to H.264/AAC using HandBrake. If files are orphaned but still available, I'd attempt to restore the correct path to the target file. If the file container is corrupted but the data still intact, I attempt to copy the data to a new file container. However, if the file data is corrupted or the master file is missing, you are probably 'SOL' if you didn't keep back-up file and/or library copies.

User uploaded file

Jan 3, 2018 12:30 PM in response to Colinbos

I have attempted to export an original unmodified file, and i am informed the file doesn't exist. I guess from that, the files have been deleted (even though as you say some legacy exists) ?

Or it could simply indicate the file is "orphaned"—i.e., cannot be located within the library by the database directory. As previously indicated, I'd recommend you open the library and physically check the "Master" folder contents to see which images and videos are actually stored on your system. Will screen capture a "Quickie Tutorial" showing how to do this...

QuickTip-PhotosLibrary.mp4

You can Control-Click or Option-Click the above link to download the video for viewing locally on your system. Basically, use the context menu (Control-Click the "Photos Library.photoslibrary" file) to select the "Show Package Contents" option which will then open the library as a folder. If you then open the "Masters" sub-folder, you can directly access any and all of your original photographs and videos stored in a year-month-day folder hierarchy.

User uploaded file

Jan 3, 2018 2:47 PM in response to Colinbos

I've learnt a little from.the instructions and I will use the Master to make copies onto to CD as well as back up on to hard drive.

With the price of USB docking stations in the $20-$40 range and multi-TB internal SATA document drives selling for less than $100, most of the members of our user group have switched from optical discs to the use of SATA drives as "removable" storage media but, if you can afford it, RAID units are still probably a better long-term investment.

Devastating, but such is computing.

At least you know for sure now and can take steps in the future.

User uploaded file

Jan 3, 2018 2:55 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thank you for such a detailed reply.

I have attempted to export an original unmodified file, and i am informed the file doesn't exist.

I guess from that, the files have been deleted (even though as you say some legacy exists) ?

I did have a system crash when the system was updating itself appropriately 3 weeks ago. I recovered it using a time machine back up that was approx 2 months earlier.

I have purchased FileSalvage to try and dig deeper to recover whatever I can.

Jan 3, 2018 9:29 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks Jon.

The instructions where great.

Sadly, it looks like when I had the system failure and I used the recovery from Time Machine, that i have lost some videos (and the legacy remains in photos).

I cannot find them in the Master file.

Devastating, but such is computing.

I've learnt a little from.the instructions and I will use the Master to make copies onto to CD as well as back up on to hard drive.

The purchase of FileSalvage was a waste of time, but I had to try.

Videos won't play in photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.