Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Press and Hold Function for Accents

I can no longer press and hold a key to get the accents box this is very frustrating as I am studying italian please can someone help me?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 10:20 AM

Yep! I've checked the slider and that's on and I have added numerous international and foreign keyboards to no avail I think I have to just accept that this is probably low on Apple's 'to do' list as I am not the only one with this problem a lot of people are complaining about it after upgrading to the latest version of High Sierra recently. I have found that using alt+e gives me one accent and alt + ` gives me the other but it is hit and miss getting the pressure right on the latter one, its so annoying. Hopefully another update will get it sorted.

Will this problem get referred back to the 'powers that be'?

Thanks for trying Tom

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2018 10:20 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Yep! I've checked the slider and that's on and I have added numerous international and foreign keyboards to no avail I think I have to just accept that this is probably low on Apple's 'to do' list as I am not the only one with this problem a lot of people are complaining about it after upgrading to the latest version of High Sierra recently. I have found that using alt+e gives me one accent and alt + ` gives me the other but it is hit and miss getting the pressure right on the latter one, its so annoying. Hopefully another update will get it sorted.

Will this problem get referred back to the 'powers that be'?

Thanks for trying Tom

Feb 1, 2018 10:46 PM in response to myraheather

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, myraheather.
If I understand your post correctly, you need to be able to type accented characters. I'm happy to help.
Click the Apple Menu () > System Preferences > Keyboard and make sure that the Key Repeat slider is not set to off. Then follow the steps here:

Type accented characters

To type an accented or alternate version of a character, hold a key down until its alternate characters are displayed.

User uploaded file

To choose one of the characters displayed, type the number that appears under the character, or click the character you want to use. If you decide you don't want to type an accented character after holding a key, type another character, or press the escape (esc) key.

If no additional characters are available for the key you're holding, the pop-over menu doesn't appear. The menu also doesn't appear when the Key Repeat slider is set to Off in the Keyboard pane of System Preferences.

Check out the full article here:
How to type accents, emoji, and symbols on your Mac
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Jan 4, 2018 12:34 PM in response to myraheather

For a list of the standard option key shortcuts, see

http://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/mac/codemac/

You can also activate the US International PC keyboard layout, which lets you type accents without the option key.

Actually relatively few people have any problem with the accent menu popup, and normally it can be fixed locally. Other things to try

+Turn off any antivirus apps. They can sometimes interfere with this feature.

+Try a safe boot:

macOS Sierra: Start up in safe mode

+Try setting up a new user account and see if you still have the problem when logged into that.

+Open up the terminal and type in:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

Jul 19, 2018 11:13 AM in response to NorthpointePaul

Apple has not changed anything about this feature. Every time there is an OS update, it goes missing for a few people. Some of the possible fixes are

+add a spanish or french keyboard to system prefs/keyboard/input sources

+Turn off any antivirus apps. They can sometimes interfere with this feature.

+Try a safe boot:

macOS Sierra: Start up in safe mode

+Try setting up a new user account and see if you still have the problem when logged into that.

+Open up the terminal and type in:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

Aug 8, 2018 2:51 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I've tried all of them to no avail. Its like why since the current OS, can I not in Safari save to my favorites bar, at the beginning? No, new favorite added, go to the END of the list. I had 3 geniueses look at it ane they said...thats the way it is......just like not being able to do this again!

Type accented characters

To type an accented or alternate version of a character, hold a key down until its alternate characters are displayed.

User uploaded file

Jan 4, 2018 12:40 PM in response to rose_10

Hi Sarah thanks for trying to help but as I said, that feature does not work since upgrading all it does is repeat the letter. This is not just my problem lots of people are experiencing the same problem Apple need to address this. I tried adding other languages. It just doesn’t work on the new update for lots of people.

Thanks anyway

Feb 1, 2018 10:45 PM in response to joão_romão

Hi João

Thanks you so much you are a genius. I had found another way round it using the US International PC Keyboard but you could use the ` accent ok and add a letter but then for the ´ accent you had to press the ` accent then the alt key and then the letter and it was hit and miss if it did it first time. Although Apple suggested it wasn't the update, I updated then went on with my Italian course work and found that holding the key for the accents no longer worked and I cannot think that it could be anything else that caused it. So many thanks indeed and fortunately on my keyboard there is no delay in them appearing. I know it is a trivial thing in the whole scale of things but it also affected my use of an Italian program online which you have to type answers with accents under a time limit which was basically impossible after you had messed around getting them to work. This all works perfectly again.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Heather

Mar 3, 2018 4:40 AM in response to rose_10

I still have this issue and have tried all of the issues in the threat. My OS is up to date and have no other issues. Not sure if related but when I switch the letter repeat to 'off' in system preferences, it doesn't stop repeating. Would have to agree with Heather that this was precipitated by an update. Hopefully you have another suggestion. Thanks

Jul 9, 2018 8:06 PM in response to rose_10

This does not work. Anyway, the instruction is for being able to hold and repeat letters. However, I can not do either; although the repeat is NOT set to 'off' in the keyboard preferences, nothing happens at all when I hold down a letter. Apparently, there is no function for Apple products for adding accents to letters, although a lot of my valukable time has now been wasted with various websites pretending that this is so 'easy' to do.

Press and Hold Function for Accents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.