Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop uploading photos to icloud

I want to stop my iPhone from uploading photos to iCloud but I want to leave all of the photos on my phone. The option to down pictures doesn't seem to be there in 11.1.2 on iPhone X

iPhone X, iOS 11.1.2

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 10:17 PM

Unless the photos are appearing as thumbnails on your iOS device, then they are all already downloaded in their full resolution state. Just turn off iCloud Photo Library.

How do I turn off iCloud Photo Library on only one device?

You can turn off iCloud Photo Library on a single device when you follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • If you use iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photo Library.
    • If you use iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Photos and turn off iCloud Photo Library.
  • On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud > Options next to Photos, then deselect iCloud Photo Library.
  • On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photo Library.

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photo Library. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Before you turn off iCloud Photo Library, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos.

Cheers,

GB

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2018 10:17 PM in response to gjohnston

Unless the photos are appearing as thumbnails on your iOS device, then they are all already downloaded in their full resolution state. Just turn off iCloud Photo Library.

How do I turn off iCloud Photo Library on only one device?

You can turn off iCloud Photo Library on a single device when you follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • If you use iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photo Library.
    • If you use iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Photos and turn off iCloud Photo Library.
  • On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud > Options next to Photos, then deselect iCloud Photo Library.
  • On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photo Library.

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photo Library. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Before you turn off iCloud Photo Library, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos.

Cheers,

GB

Stop uploading photos to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.