Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem deleting Windows 10 Bootcamp partition

Hi everyone,

This seems to be a recurring issue, but I have yet find a solve for it that doesn't require a clean reinstall.

I am trying to delete my Windows 10 Bootcamp partition and recover the space it has taken so I can to extend my MacOS partition over the entire hard drive. In Boot Camp Assistant, the install or remove or Windows 8 or later is grayed out. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.2.

User uploaded file

I have been in contact with Apple support and they suggest that I erase the Bootcamp partition via Disk Utilities and format it as APFS. But to be honest, the support person I chatted with had to do a lot of backround research and didn't sound particularly confident when they came up with this solution.

Before I do this, I wanted to see if anyone out there has had a similar problem as me and whether they have tried this solution or another to solve it. Here is my diskutil list, if that helps. Thanks.

User uploaded file

MACBOOK AIR (11-INCH, EARLY 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 2:03 PM

2 replies

Jan 3, 2018 3:21 PM in response to Stonekw

Notice you have Windows RE as disk0s4. BC Assistant will not make any changes to this disk. To recover the disk space, you will need to run the following commands in Terminal (do not run any command more than once, otherwise you will lose data)

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC1 disk0s3

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC2 disk0s4

diskutil mergePartitions jhfs+ BCMP disk0s3 disk0s4

diskutil list

If you only see disk0s3, then

diskutil eraseVolume fat32 BOOTCAMP disk0s3

and now run BC Assistant and try to Remove/Restore.

Problem deleting Windows 10 Bootcamp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.