Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot load Internet Recovery, error 3403f

I am trying to downgrade from Sierra (OSX 10.12.6) back to El Captain (Been using it for a few weeks, but there are so many things that are not working so I decided to rollback). I tried cmd+r to load the recovery window on startup, but it shows the error 3403f without further explanation on what exactly this error is about. Does anyone know what this is?

I am using a iMac 27 mid 2010, and I have time machine copy on an external drive. Thanks!

iMac, null

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 12:21 PM

The way i got this is that I entered the RecoveryMode by holding CMD-R, ran Disk Utility and formatted the hard drive as standard mac format. Rebooted and could not re-enter the recovery mode.

CMD-R; OPT-CMD-R; SHFT-OPT-CMD-R all result in the same results.

Internet Recovery asks for connection to a WiFi; Once connected to the WiFi (shared from my iMac) i get the globe image with a hazard sign on it and under it i see "apple.com/support" and under that i see "-3403F".

The frustrating thing is that when i go to apple.com/support and enter "-3403F" it find nothing at all.

This is a brand new MacBook, just out of the box.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2018 12:21 PM in response to yujai

The way i got this is that I entered the RecoveryMode by holding CMD-R, ran Disk Utility and formatted the hard drive as standard mac format. Rebooted and could not re-enter the recovery mode.

CMD-R; OPT-CMD-R; SHFT-OPT-CMD-R all result in the same results.

Internet Recovery asks for connection to a WiFi; Once connected to the WiFi (shared from my iMac) i get the globe image with a hazard sign on it and under it i see "apple.com/support" and under that i see "-3403F".

The frustrating thing is that when i go to apple.com/support and enter "-3403F" it find nothing at all.

This is a brand new MacBook, just out of the box.

Jan 15, 2018 1:07 PM in response to Larebare

Hi,

I’ve had the same 3403f error during internet system recovery.

I’m on a late 2010 MacBook Pro.

To solve the problem I started the Mac holding down the ‘option’ key. That gets you into the startup manager. There I selected the disk that had ‘install’ in the name.

From there on it installed high Sierra and everything is working fine. Maybe it’s not the right was but at least it got me passed the point of the 3403F error.

Good livk

Jan 3, 2018 7:22 PM in response to yujai

How to Downgrade macOS High Sierra

macOS Reversion- How to Downgrade from High Sierra

Your model is unable to do Network/Internet Recovery. You must first install Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or later using the Software Restore DVD that came with your computer from the factory.

How To Do A Factory Reset

Selection A should be used on computers that came with Lion or later when factory new. These models had no disks included when new. Selection B is for Macs that came originally with Snow Leopard or earlier. These models shipped with Software Restore disks when new.

A. Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

B. Factory Reset Your Pre-Lion Mac

Follow these instructions until you get to Step 5: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support. At Step 5 you will need a Snow Leopard DVD or the installer disc that came with the computer.

Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer. After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities' menu. After Disk Utility loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (un-dented entry - mfgr.'s ID and drive size.) Click on the Partition tab in the Disk Utility main window. Set the number of partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended (Journaled), then click on the Apply button.

When the formatting has finished quit Disk Utility. Proceed with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

If you are planning to sell or give your computer away, then do the following: After you reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X, the computer restarts to a Welcome screen and asks you to choose a country or region. If you want to leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, don't continue with the setup of your system. Instead, press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. When the new owner turns on the Mac, the Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.

Jan 10, 2018 4:00 PM in response to KevinKanDoIt

This would be an error you wish to contact Apple Support about.

More or less an issue with the Mac connecting to the Apple servers to download the recovery tools. This is usually due to a port block, ISP block or an error with the Mac recognizing the connections. They would be able to guide you better as they can look into the specific error numbers.

Mar 4, 2018 8:19 PM in response to ильнарfromнижнекамск

yes i am currently. I had to get replacement of my first one due to flickering and green screen. Now my second new computer right out of the box had the same green screen and flickering happeng. And i called apple and started compamig so we did some trouble shooting and the broke it even further now i cant even get my computer to run! Only two things i have on my

computer is final cut pro and photoshop. We could not find out what one was causing the isse before they broke it. So there sending me another one I PRAY thag it works! if not im asking for refund!

Cannot load Internet Recovery, error 3403f

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.