Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete not archive emails by swiping left in the mail app?

When I googled this question, I got multiple answers, but the ways they told me to do it were not options for me and were probably ways to do it on different versions of iOS. In gmail, when I swipe left on a message, it archives it and saves it forever in my "all mail" category, and over the years I have accumulated thousands of emails that are not in my inbox that I want deleted from my phone, and I have to go through and manually select which ones to delete. In the future, is there a way to automatically delete emails instead of archiving them when I swipe left on them in my mail app on my iPhone SE? When I go to Settings-Mail-Swipe Option, it does not give me the option to trash, only to Mark as Read, Flag, or move message. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

iPhone SE, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 9:54 PM

Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Click on Account Name > Click on Account Name > Advanced > Deleted Mailbox

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

2 replies

How do I delete not archive emails by swiping left in the mail app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.