Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow ipad

I am sooo frustrated after updating my IPad with the latest iOS Update my IPad is soooo slow I can’t almost use it anymore! I Just want to warn everybody from updating their phones and iPads I bought apple products because of the speed and quality but this is such a bad way to make people buy new products. To slow the old one once down!!

Even to write this message takes time because the letters show up way after I press the buttons.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 12:11 AM

5 replies

Jan 6, 2018 8:44 PM in response to Frances808

You are not addressing anyone from Apple here.

We are all users here, just like you.

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

If you don’t care for the new, default iOS 11 onboard keyboard, there are lots of third party virtual keyboards you can download and install from the iOS App Store.

I use a third party virtual software keyboard called PadKeys.

PadKeys

https://padkeyskeyboard.com/

PadKeys Keyboard for iPad by Natural Designs Software, Inc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/padkeys-keyboard-for-ipad/id975022995?mt=8

You don’t have to turn EVERY feature OFF just the right features need to be tweaked.

You can leave WiFi ON.

Bluetooth is more problematic on any iOS, so only use Bluetooth when you need it, and turn it OFF when you don’t.

In Settings app, General settings panel, turn OFF Background App Refresh.

In Settings app, under General settings, Reset panel, at the right bottom of the list, Reset All Settings.

In Settings app (NOT from the iOS Control Panel) turn OFF Bluetooth when not using any Bluetooth devices.

Also, in general, if you want a faster IDevice, on all of my iDevices, I turn off most of the iOS motion graphics eye candy, by simply turning ON Reduce Motion in Settings app, General, Accessibilty settings.

Make sure you aren't running scads and scads of background apps in the iOS 11 Control Panel/App Switcher.

Also, make sure you don’t have scads and scads of active website tabs running in the web browser.

Tap on my link below to see my other iDevice/iOS tips for a slow device.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11!

Also, send feedback about your iPad issues here.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the , responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

Good Luck to You!

Jan 8, 2018 6:24 PM in response to Frances808

What iPad are you using? Using an iPad mini 2 (maybe even 3) or an iPad Air (1st edition) will get noticeable slowdowns due to their age, trying to handle all of the new features in iOS 11. The iPad Air 2 may also start slowing down soon also due to its age. Sorry, but that's just the nature of computers. Older device will struggle more and more and more features will get introduced that only the latest devices will be able to handle. Either way, 4 and more years is a lot for owning a device that is constantly getting updates at a rapid pace. The technological world is evolving fast.

As for the battery problems, you may need to replace it; if it's a device more than 2 years old you will have noticed less battery life. You can replace your battery following these steps: iPad Battery & Power - Official Apple Support

Jan 6, 2018 3:27 PM in response to olafromlondon

The keyboard is horrible and don't even try to use twitter. I have turned off Siri, every search feature, background app refresh, location and everything else, and bye, my battery still gets eaten up when it's on standby even with the WiFi and Bluetooth set to OFF. So what's the point of paying for an expensive iPad If you can't use any of the features? i can buy a mediocre tablet on QVC for under $150...and It has an sdram and usb port!

Also, why did they replace the space bar with an undo button when u hit the number/symbol key? that makes no sense and really disrupts the thought process. I've had to retype entire sentences how many times already bc if you don't hit the redo arrow right away, you can't get back your text.

Come on, Apple! I know you want us to buy the new devices but this is dirty pool. Remember when you sued Microsoft for getting too big for their britches? Not so easy being a big dog is it?

Fix this please.

Jan 8, 2018 9:27 PM in response to Sam Holloway

Not entirely true as Apple only parses out certain features of an iOS for each compatible device.

Not all iOS compatible devices get every single new iOS feature available.

Also, iPads have much larger capacity batteries than iPhones or iPod Touches.

So, I doubt anyone in this post is having battery issues with their iPads.

My iPad 2 and 3 models are still running fine on their original batteries.

So, is my large iPad Pro that has a nearly 2-1/2 year old battery, too!

The battery performance/CPU slowdowns ONLY apply to iPhone 6 models and later iPhone models.

Slow ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.