Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder stuck in preparing to copy

So I recently update my computer to high Sierra. Ever since my computer has had issues moving files between my desktop and my companies external server which is used to store all company files. When I work on a document locally on my desktop and I try to move it to the server I get the pop up that the file is preparing to copy. It stays this way for hours and I am forced to quit the finder and relaunch. When I try to relaunch every file on my desktop disappears and my finder will not relaunch. I am forced to restart my computer.

I also have this issue if I pull up a document from the server such as an .ai file. I can work on the file but if I attempt to save it back on the server illustrator gets stuck ends up not responding and I am forced to quit that application losing all work. However I am able to resave this file on my desktop without issue.

This is a major problem for me because I cannot update any company files on the server.

I have reinstalled High Sierra. Restarted my computer many times and searched the internet for solutions but I have not found anything that works.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 4:57 PM

I have experienced this problem many times on my iMac and have deleted the finder preferences file from the library on numerous occasions. However, this no longer works and I am stuck with finder 'preparing to move' or 'preparing to copy' when it actually does nothing and has to be cancelled. I have even reinstalled High Sierra completely, to no avail. However today, it occurred to me that I am running Drive Genius on the iMac, but not on my MacBook Pro, where I never experience the problem. I therefore uninstalled Drive Genius and bingo! Files can be dragged and dropped again within finder or to trash, and copied from one location to another, just as Apple intended.

Next job on the to-do list....moan at ProSoft!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2018 4:57 PM in response to cguay73

I have experienced this problem many times on my iMac and have deleted the finder preferences file from the library on numerous occasions. However, this no longer works and I am stuck with finder 'preparing to move' or 'preparing to copy' when it actually does nothing and has to be cancelled. I have even reinstalled High Sierra completely, to no avail. However today, it occurred to me that I am running Drive Genius on the iMac, but not on my MacBook Pro, where I never experience the problem. I therefore uninstalled Drive Genius and bingo! Files can be dragged and dropped again within finder or to trash, and copied from one location to another, just as Apple intended.

Next job on the to-do list....moan at ProSoft!

Jan 23, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Ric8

Exact same problem. File transfer gets stuck on "preparing to copy" and then will continue to hang. When you finally quit the finder and relaunch, every file on my desktop disappears and my finder will not relaunch. The only thing I've found to solve the problem then is to restart the entire computer.

For a while the "sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC" command seemed to fix this problem, but now there's nothing I can do but reboot.

finder stuck in preparing to copy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.