Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAILER-DAEMON shows as sender of spam

Upon checking my mail queue in Server Admin, I see about 100 messages per day that seem to be sent from my Mailer daemon to spam addresses.

Are these bounces from my mail server, or is my mail server spamming these addresses? And is there a need to stop them from going out other than manually deleting them every day?

When I click on such a particular message this is what shows up in "Message Details" window:

Message ID: 1451D4365D29
Date: Wed Jan 17 10:33:03
Size: 6086
Sender: MAILER-DAEMON
Recipient(s) & Status:
----------------------
ykyarmulke@cashcrazymails.com:
connect to cashcrazymails.com[63.251.92.195]: read timeout

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jan 19, 2007 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2007 9:24 AM

These are bounces to senders of messages that have been rejected by spamassassin as spam. Because the senders address has been spoofed, your server is not finding an MX record for the domain or some other reason for postfix to queue them up for later attempt.

Your server will stop trying after 5 days and discard them. This is set by the default postfix option (in main.cf)...

bounce queuelifetime = 5d

You can reduce this if you want but it otherwise doesn't put a lot of work on the server.

-david
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2007 9:24 AM in response to tmoldovan

These are bounces to senders of messages that have been rejected by spamassassin as spam. Because the senders address has been spoofed, your server is not finding an MX record for the domain or some other reason for postfix to queue them up for later attempt.

Your server will stop trying after 5 days and discard them. This is set by the default postfix option (in main.cf)...

bounce queuelifetime = 5d

You can reduce this if you want but it otherwise doesn't put a lot of work on the server.

-david

MAILER-DAEMON shows as sender of spam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.