Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.7.2 no longer has Apps tab. How do I manage apps now?

iTunes 12.7.2 no longer has an Applications tab to manage apps downloaded previously into iTunes and the apps actually on the iPhone. What happened? Does it still backup the apps? How do I find the apps I had in iTunes but not on iPhone?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.3.3, was working with iOS10.3.2

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 11:08 AM

Yes, this change is unfortunate. One has to download apps directly to each device which is a pain.

See this for all that has changed: Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

Note: It is possible to install an older version: Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

But it's not clear as to if that older version will be maintaned. I accepted the changes and just use the new version myself. I did provide feedback to Apple on the use-cases in why having app management again would be a good thing. Perhaps you can provide feedback as well.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2018 11:08 AM in response to breezy1

Yes, this change is unfortunate. One has to download apps directly to each device which is a pain.

See this for all that has changed: Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

Note: It is possible to install an older version: Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

But it's not clear as to if that older version will be maintaned. I accepted the changes and just use the new version myself. I did provide feedback to Apple on the use-cases in why having app management again would be a good thing. Perhaps you can provide feedback as well.

Jan 15, 2018 8:16 PM in response to breezy1

Yeah,

This started with iTunes version 12.7.

I waited until Apple finally acquiesced an offer one more iTunes update to version 12.6, 12.6.3.

I opted to use iTunes 12.6.3 and even works with my wife's new iPhone SE.

iTunes 12.6.3 still saves apps.

Not sure how you would go back to iTunes 12.6.3 from 12.7, though.

I have multiple drives with multiple iTunes libraries on Mac OS versions, so, I have a lot of dats flexibility. I could easlity revert from 12.7 back to 12.6.3 when I realised what happened with app backups no longer happening in iTunes 12.7.

Jan 15, 2018 8:21 PM in response to as_909

as_909 wrote:

What if the app isn't universal for both iPhone and iPad.

You end up paying to only having one version for each device. No way to save or download a duplicate version to another iDevice. Especially, if these apps are iOS 10/11 only and can’t download an older version to an older iDevice.

Apple made a HUGE mistake by taking out app backups out of iTunes 12.7.

iTunes 12.7.2 no longer has Apps tab. How do I manage apps now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.