Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change an e-mail account password for mail.app in High Sierra

I want to update a password in my mail.app (I just changed it on the website yahoo.com) I am running High Sierra, and there is no password update field that I can find under accounts in either the mail app, or under system preferences. How do I update it on my Mac? Thank you.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 2013

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 7:30 AM

When I go to Mail.app --> Preferences --> Accounts Tab --> (affected e-mail account)... The listing under Account Information does not have an opportunity to change the password. (It lists Description, Alias, email address, Full Name, Incoming Mail Server grayed out, Username grayed out, Outgoing Mail Server SMTP and TLS Certificate) Under the other sub-tabs (Mailbox Behaviors and Advanced) also no opportunity to update or enter a password.

If I go into Mail.app--> Accounts --> (affected e-mail account)... I see only the opportunity to look at "Details" where there is also no choice to update or add a password.

If I go into System Preferences --> Accounts --> (affected e-mail account)... I see the same as listed above... "Details" where there is no choice to update or add a password.

I did find a solution... which is completely terrible for the easiest computer to use... a Mac... which was to delete the mail account, and add it back in, but I then had to add it back to my three Macs and on my two iOS devices. It seems like Apple should have a better solution than that! (Like a prompt when checking mail on that account to prompt to enter a (new or updated) password.)

Thanks for taking the time on this. You do not need to continue on it, as I found an awkward solution... but wondered if I was missing a solution that was simple and intuitive somehow. Again, thank you.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2018 7:30 AM in response to John Galt

When I go to Mail.app --> Preferences --> Accounts Tab --> (affected e-mail account)... The listing under Account Information does not have an opportunity to change the password. (It lists Description, Alias, email address, Full Name, Incoming Mail Server grayed out, Username grayed out, Outgoing Mail Server SMTP and TLS Certificate) Under the other sub-tabs (Mailbox Behaviors and Advanced) also no opportunity to update or enter a password.

If I go into Mail.app--> Accounts --> (affected e-mail account)... I see only the opportunity to look at "Details" where there is also no choice to update or add a password.

If I go into System Preferences --> Accounts --> (affected e-mail account)... I see the same as listed above... "Details" where there is no choice to update or add a password.

I did find a solution... which is completely terrible for the easiest computer to use... a Mac... which was to delete the mail account, and add it back in, but I then had to add it back to my three Macs and on my two iOS devices. It seems like Apple should have a better solution than that! (Like a prompt when checking mail on that account to prompt to enter a (new or updated) password.)

Thanks for taking the time on this. You do not need to continue on it, as I found an awkward solution... but wondered if I was missing a solution that was simple and intuitive somehow. Again, thank you.

Jan 5, 2018 8:30 AM in response to OtisMT2

Deleting the email account and adding it again was the right thing to do. Different email services (whether they're iCloud, POP, IMAP or various nonstandard implementations of it) require different solutions, and I suppose Apple is trying to be too clever with something as simple as a password change.

What's supposed to happen is that Mail will provide an alert indicating the password is incorrect, and prompt you for the correct password. Not knowing how Yahoo! Mail accomplishes that I couldn't be sure. Yahoo! is probably a little sensitive these days, having recently lost control of a few billion account holders' data.

How to change an e-mail account password for mail.app in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.