Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1337 ipad won't charge or start, but show life

Hello,

Searched for answers but found no solution to my specific problem.

I was given an original A1337 iPad. It will not start or charge. Here are the specific steps I've tried and the results:

When plugged into a computer with Apple cable, there is no screen activity. I have tried charging it this way for 24 hours straight. Holding down power and home buttons (forever) does nothing.

When plugged into wall socket (with Apple cable and charger), white Apple logo screen flickers on and off every several seconds. I have left it this way for 24 hours, with no change in behavior. But I'm encouraged that there is life in this device. Holding down power and home buttons for 30 seconds while plugged into wall gives me the Connect To iTunes pictorial screen. However, once I remove the USB cable from the charger to connect to computer, I lose that screen and it goes black again.

So although I would like to connect to iTunes, it will only show that screen after the home/power button trick while plugged into a wall socket.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular, Model A1337; Don't know iOS version

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 10:47 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've tried all the steps you outlined. It has been plugged into a wall outlet for over 48 hours, flickering the Apple logo on and off. I can coax it into the iTunes recovery screen, but can't keep that screen long enough to plug into a computer.

Since it is 7-8 years old, if my only alternative is to pay Apple to repair it, I guess I'll just dispose of it.

Oh well.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2018 10:47 AM in response to Leanne_68

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've tried all the steps you outlined. It has been plugged into a wall outlet for over 48 hours, flickering the Apple logo on and off. I can coax it into the iTunes recovery screen, but can't keep that screen long enough to plug into a computer.

Since it is 7-8 years old, if my only alternative is to pay Apple to repair it, I guess I'll just dispose of it.

Oh well.

Jan 5, 2018 9:10 AM in response to musicnyc

Hi musicnyc,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

I see that your iPad won't charge or start. It's important to make sure that you can use and enjoy your iPad, so I'll be happy to assist.

First, please try the steps in this support article for the charging issue: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t charge . You can skip any of the steps that you've already tried.

If your device charges slowly or won’t charge

Follow these steps and try again after each:

1. Check your charging cable and USB adapter for signs of damage, like breakage or bent prongs.* Don't use damaged accessories.
    User uploaded file
  2. Use a wall power outlet and check for firm connections between your charging cable, USB wall adapter, and wall outlet, or try a different outlet.
  3. Remove any debris from the charging port on the bottom of your device, then firmly plug your charging cable into your device. If the charging port is damaged, your device probably needs service.
    User uploaded file
  4. Let your device charge for a half hour (If your device is unresponsive afterward, learn what to do).
  5. Force restart your device:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
  6. Let your device charge for another half hour.
  7. If your device still won’t power on or charge, take your device, charging cable, and charging adapter to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation. You can also contact Apple Support.

Then, I would like to provide you with a resource that will help if the iPad won't turn on:
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards.

A1337 ipad won't charge or start, but show life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.