Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings: Apps using Icloud vs choose data to backup

I tried contacting apple support by phone but they were unable to answer my question. I am using an ipad pro running ios 11.2.1 and I have icloud drive and icloud backups turned on.

When you open settings and navigate to icloud settings it says "manage storage" and then "apps using icloud" with a list of apps and toggles buttons that you can turn on or off. I cannot figure out what effect toggling apps on or off here does. I thought it affected whether or not these apps were included in my automatic icloud backups but that is controlled in a deeper level of menus under "manage storage -> backup -> device name -> choose data to backup"

I can turn app data off in the icloud backup list without any effect to the "apps using icloud" list higher up in settings. Please help me understand why apps are listed in two places like this in regards to icloud.

Thanks,

Michael

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 5:16 PM

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense for some apps like Calendars, Notes, Reminders etc....but what does it mean for other apps that don't sync over icloud.com but are still listed for me such as Adobe Sketch, Google Drive, Dropbox, Kickstarter, Procreate and Zoom?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2018 5:16 PM in response to zinacef

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense for some apps like Calendars, Notes, Reminders etc....but what does it mean for other apps that don't sync over icloud.com but are still listed for me such as Adobe Sketch, Google Drive, Dropbox, Kickstarter, Procreate and Zoom?

Settings: Apps using Icloud vs choose data to backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.