Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calorie Tracker is Wrong

I bought my Fiance a new Apple Watch 3 for Christmas.

The past two days she has gone to two workout classes that are both an hour long and a HIIT style of workout class where you sweat, move and burn a lot of calories.

The past two nights after the workout classes the watch says she has burned 200 calories and then 300 calories.

That is definitely wrong as the classes she goes to let you wear fitness trackers around your midsection that report 600-800 calories burned.

What is with the discrepancy.

Please Answer

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 8:35 AM

My tracker has stopped working correctly since the last iPhone update last week. Now I exercise all day and it says 65 calories, when it used to say 350. I have checked all my settings. I have it calibrated. This is my second watch so I have been using them right from the first one. I’m not a newbie.

Has any else had , and solved this problem?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2018 8:35 AM in response to TheTick5588

My tracker has stopped working correctly since the last iPhone update last week. Now I exercise all day and it says 65 calories, when it used to say 350. I have checked all my settings. I have it calibrated. This is my second watch so I have been using them right from the first one. I’m not a newbie.

Has any else had , and solved this problem?

Feb 2, 2018 8:37 AM in response to georgettefromsausalito

I suggest following the same steps in my previous reply.

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Apr 26, 2018 6:16 AM in response to TheTick5588

My wife has a similar problem. It is almost impossible for her to meet her calorie goal which is only 460 active calories per day. Today she was credited with only 391 active calories in spite of the fact that she got 73 minutes of exercise credit, climbed 26 flights of stairs, and walked 12,820 steps for a total of 9.8 kilometers.

This on a series 3 Apple Watch.

• The software on her watch and iPhone is up to date.
  • Her personal information (height and weight) are correct.
  • The heart rate data seems to be consistent and correct.
  • Location Services settings are correct as her activity is accurately tracked.

In other words, the Watch and iPhone seem to set up correctly and record her activity correctly, but the calorie credit she gets for her activities seems to be way off. The point here is that this is not a tracking problem. Her activity is accurately tracked. The problem is a calculation problem.

Today, I got credit for 629 active calories with only 51 exercise minutes. Granted, I weight about 50% more than she does, but she only got about 5 calories per minute of exercise while I got 12 calories per minute. Her exercise was almost entirely walking around downtown Bangkok. Mine was 30 minutes of cycling, ten minutes of strength training and 11 minutes of schlepping around the house.

This seems horribly wrong.

Jan 4, 2018 5:32 PM in response to TheTick5588

Hi

It may help if your fiancée follows these steps:

When recording specific fitness activities, be sure to use the Workout app and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout:

When comparing calorie data recorded by different devices and their apps, keep in mind that Apple Watch reports active energy / calories, whereas many other fitness devices and apps report total energy (resting + active calories).

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Check your personal information:

• Calorie estimations depend, in part, on your personal information.
  • To check that this is accurate - and to update it over time:
    • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch correctly:

• For the best performance from the heart rate sensor - which is used continually during workouts, with readings used when estimating active calories burned - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist.
  • Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:
  • For workouts that involve flexing your wrists, it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint.
  • It may also help to check that the back of your Apple Watch is clean (along with your wrist, which I'm sure is the case):

• Note that sensor performance can be affected by skin changes, such as by some wrist tattoos.

• If you experience issues with recording your heart rate during workouts, then, for more consistent readings, you may wish to consider pairing an external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap to your Apple Watch:

Prior to calibrating your Apple Watch (see the next step), check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
      • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
      • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
      • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Calibrate your Apple Watch, resetting any existing calibration data and starting afresh:

Be sure to allow the arm on which you are wearing your Apple Watch to swing naturally during relevant workout activities and also during calibration.

Calorie Tracker is Wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.