Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect Network Password on iPhone

I have the iPhone 6S 11.2.1 and the wifi has been working perfectly fine then out of the blue it decided to get disconnected and now it says the password is incorrect. I tried all the solutions to fix this and nothing is work. Is there any other ways to fix this problem??

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.1, incorrect wifi password

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 5:01 PM

Hi, lolshayla!

Thank you for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I see that you're having some trouble getting reconnected to your Wi-Fi network. If I'm understanding, your iPhone 6s disconnected from a network it's been connected to, and now won't accept the network password to let you rejoin. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would suggest the following steps from If you need help with your Wi‑Fi password - Apple Support :

What if I know my password, but the network won’t accept it?

In iOS: Tap Settings > Wi‑Fi > User uploaded file > Forget this network. Then try to rejoin.

User uploaded file
If the network still won’t accept your password, make sure:

If the above steps don't help, I can also recommend trying a different network, if possible, to see if the issue is with all networks or this one in particular. If it's this one in particular, try the steps here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support .

The following Wi-Fi settings recommendations may also help with connection issues: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support .

Have a great day!
157 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2018 5:01 PM in response to lolshayla

Hi, lolshayla!

Thank you for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I see that you're having some trouble getting reconnected to your Wi-Fi network. If I'm understanding, your iPhone 6s disconnected from a network it's been connected to, and now won't accept the network password to let you rejoin. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would suggest the following steps from If you need help with your Wi‑Fi password - Apple Support :

What if I know my password, but the network won’t accept it?

In iOS: Tap Settings > Wi‑Fi > User uploaded file > Forget this network. Then try to rejoin.

User uploaded file
If the network still won’t accept your password, make sure:

If the above steps don't help, I can also recommend trying a different network, if possible, to see if the issue is with all networks or this one in particular. If it's this one in particular, try the steps here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support .

The following Wi-Fi settings recommendations may also help with connection issues: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support .

Have a great day!

Jan 26, 2018 7:40 AM in response to lolshayla

I have the same issue described with an iPad pro 12" following the last several updates.

The iPad shows that it is not connected to the network though it was when I went to sleep. When I try to select it I receive "incorrect password".

I reboot the device and it attaches to the network no problem.

The "forget network" suggestion from Apple. Does not solve the problem. Same issue persists.

Feb 10, 2018 1:21 AM in response to LiLeey0re

Hi there,

I am having the same problem with my iPhone 5s. Everything was fine with iOS 9 and above. Once iOS 11 was rolled out and after I updated to latest, wifi connection started having issues giving me error - incorrect password even though my laptop and other devices are connected fine. Even the phone has slowed down drastically with every new version of iOS 11. Apple shouldn’t have given the upgrade to iPhone 5s and below as the hardware is not equipped to take the load. Please help me with the wifi incorrect password issue.

Thanks a lot.

Veda Pai

Feb 10, 2018 10:18 PM in response to lolshayla

Same here. iPhone 6s. 11.2.5. It now says that all of my saved passwords are incorrect.

For example, the default and never changed password on my dash-cam wifi is 12345678.

iPhone said that the saved password is incorrect. I re-entered it several times as above. No joy. I reset the dash-cam to factory settings and tried again. No joy.

Finally, my wife was able to share her password for the dash-cam from her iPhone X. Connected right away. I went in to the dash-cam settings and confirmed that the password is still 12345678.

I checked the Keychain on my iMac and, sure enough, the saved password for the dash-cam is 12345678.

Something seriously amiss here.

Feb 23, 2018 6:04 PM in response to lolshayla

Me too. Last night all good, everything connected. This morning, neither iPhone SE or iPad will connect to home wifi. Keep getting incorrect password message. However my PC laptop, kindle, AV system and iMac are all connected to my home wifi without issue, using same password. Have tried all the Apple recommendations to rectify but no success. Only way to get online with iPad is to hotspot to my iPhone and use up my data. Very frustrating! A workable solution please Apple.

Aug 4, 2018 10:27 AM in response to Tractorgirl

Here's Apple's help article: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Usually a Wi-Fi issue with only one network is a problem with the router, not with the phone. Restart your router by removing all power from it for 15 to 30 seconds. Also check with your router provider to see if they have a firmware update.

Aug 13, 2018 11:03 AM in response to Cm Tong

Here's Apple's help article: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Usually a Wi-Fi issue with only one network is a problem with the router, not with the phone. Restart your router by removing all power from it for 15 to 30 seconds. Also check with your router provider to see if they have a firmware update.

Nov 26, 2018 5:09 PM in response to mlmccants

Here's the Apple help tip: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

But to simplify it, first step is to restart your router (even if other devices connect OK). Remove all power for 15 to 30 seconds; don't just turn it off as some routers don't shut down completely unless unplugged.

The next step, if that doesn't fix it, is to restart your phone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If it had been working and this happened suddenly, and you haven't changed anything else, restarting the router will probably fix it.

Feb 24, 2018 3:17 PM in response to jillzynicole

jillzynicole wrote:

This is happening to me too and it's very annoying. I did not realize the wifi was not working until I got a message from my service provider saying I had used 90% of my data for the month. 😠 The fix that is suggested does not work!!

There are several things to check for an Incorrect Password message:

• Make absolutely sure you have the correct password.
  • Reboot your router by remove all power for 15-30 seconds. Don't just turn it off, unplug it.
  • Forget the network, then try to reconnect.
  • Go to Settings/General/Reset - Reset Network Settings. This will, among other things, remove all Wi-Fi passwords, but will not result in any data loss.
  • Consider the possibility of interference from other nearby networks. To check this, try to connect within 3 feet of your router. If it connects most like the problem is interference. Go into your router settings and try different channels.
  • Verify that your router has the latest firmware update. The Wi-Fi standard is updated regularly, and Apple always has the latest official version.
  • If it's an old router consider replacing it. It's a last resort, but this has fixed the problem for a lot of people who have posted here.

Mar 11, 2018 9:54 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence:

FYI on my Technicolor Wifi modem manual (Spectrum): and again my iPhone was communicating fine, i made no changes to my modems wifi settings before I got the "incorrect password" dialogue.

There is no on-off at MAC Filtering settings just this in the manual:

Again I'm asking anyone experiencing this problem of persistent "incorrect password" to try adding the device under the "learned device" or manually add section of MAC filtering. AND let this discussion know if it works or not.

1. 4 In the MAC Filtering Mode list, click: Allow-All to allow all wireless clients. The Wireless Control List will not be used. Allow to block wireless clients by default, except if they are listed in the Wireless Control List. If you are currently connected via this access point, you must add your device to the exceptions in the Wireless Control List before clicking Save Filter Setting (this will be done in the next step). If you do not do this you will be disconnected from the access point. Deny to allow wireless clients by default, except if they are listed in the Wireless Control List.
  2. 5 Add the exception on the default action, by doing one of the following:

Under Auto-Learned wireless clients, select the device and click Add. Under Manually-Added wireless clients, type the device name and MAC address and click Add.

Incorrect Network Password on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.